Meet Gizmo (female chocolate) and Dexter (male yellow)

Thread: Meet Gizmo (female chocolate) and Dexter (male yellow)

croullo is offline Junior Member

CoolMeet Gizmo (female chocolate) and Dexter (male yellow) and Taz (the proud Dad)

My wife and I bred our AKC Chocolate with an AKC yellow. They had 7 yellows and 1 chocolate. They are both 4 and a half weeks, they will be weened in a few weeks. Our girl, Gizmo, has very unique markings. Is this uncommon amongst Labs? They are definitely pure bred, our sire comes from a champion blood line too. Just curious if the markings will ever go away? We actually think they are awesome and unique, we have no plans to make our pups show dogs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! Pictured to the right of the puppies is our Chocolate stud, Taz, he is a handful at about 4, but we lovem'!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by croullo; 01-02-2013 at 04:47 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. No, the markings won't change. It is the way the genes work sometimes. There is a site with a lengthy explanation as to how this happens. A good place to see these mismarks is here: Mismarks & other odd markings in Labradors part 2 - Woodhaven Labradors Mismarks, and other things happen when people breed their dogs at home sometimes. Breeders that have been at it awhile, do health and breed screenings before breeding to help preserve quality in the breed. Where are you located? There are numerous lab clubs that can be found all over and in local areas and states that can be helpful. Welcome to the forum, and we are here to help you all we can.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Those markings are adorable actually! My Jack has a yellow mom and a chocolate dad. His mom Lou-Lou had 3 of each, all solid though. Cute puppies!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by croullo View Post
    My wife and I bred our AKC Chocolate with an AKC yellow. They had 7 yellows and 1 chocolate. They are both 4 and a half weeks, they will be weened in a few weeks. Our girl, Gizmo, has very unique markings. Is this uncommon amongst Labs? They are definitely pure bred, our sire comes from a champion blood line too. Just curious if the markings will ever go away? We actually think they are awesome and unique, we have no plans to make our pups show dogs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! Pictured to the right of the puppies is our Chocolate stud, Taz, he is a handful at about 4, but we lovem'!
    Your yellow puppy is lacking proper pigment in the skin (commonly called "dudley") and your chocolate is mismarked. Both of these puppies deviate from the Labrador standard due to these things. I'm sure that they will make fine pets, but neither of them should be bred when they are adults.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.