Hello!

Thread: Hello!

Sealine is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello!

My name is Caroline and I'm stopping in hoping for some help for my good ol' chocolate lab Rocky. Nice to meet you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rugernmoesma is offline Member

Welcome, both of you!
    Kim~

Nicki July 1993-July 2, 2004
    Ruger June 10,2004-October 24, 2012
    Mocha November 11, 2004-
    Nala October 13, 2012-

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We're here to help...what do you need?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sealine is offline Junior Member

Hello! I posted onto the health board about some questions regarding Rocky's condition. This is what I put:

Hi everyone,
    I have a 13-year-old chocolate lab named Rocky. He is in generally good health and in good spirits, but slowing down. A couple of years ago he was diagnosed with acid reflux and we maintained using Prilosec. Lately it's gotten worse. Mostly at night (between midnight and 6 or 7 a.m.) but also during the day sometimes he'll do a sort of gag/cough, sometimes several in succession. This tends to be particularly bad when he's laying on the couch for a long time or rolls over on his back.
    Recently we've been trying some other remedies such as Pepcid, cutting down on fatty foods, giving him more and smaller meals (particularly kibble), and even metoclopramide, which seemed to make it worse so we stopped (the vet thought the bad reaction could happen and suggested it could indicate that the source of his problem is the lower esophagus). He is also taking Prozac to manage anxiety and the vet suggested this could cause increased gastric upset, but he was doing the gagging before he started with the Prozac so I don't think it's the culprit. Plus it really seems to have helped him. He was developing a bit of "sundowner's syndrome" over the summer but the Prozac (combined with some Chinese herbal medicine called Shen from the vet) seem to really lift his spirits and he's less confused.
    It has been suggested that he have endoscopy to see what is going on. We are a bit worried about this because of his age. But on the other hand the gagging is going on every day and I'm sure it must be uncomfortable. Right now he wants to eat snow I expect to cool his sore throat. All of our other attempts to do something non-invasive don't seem to be working out. So we're leaning toward the scope, with some trepidation. My fear in particular comes from the experience losing a 15-year-old cat who went in for a teeth cleaning and then died just after coming out of anesthesia.
    Has anyone else experienced these types of symptoms with your lab and what did you do? Should we go with the endoscopy to find out what's going on? I'm not sure what we will find or whether the problem can be fixed. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Caroline