Need some reassurance please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some reassurance please!

Tnana0077 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed some reassurance please!

We have not gotten our pup yet. She should be born this week. My mom keeps my kids three days out of the week at my house. When I told her the news about the new addition she had a fit. She has never been around large dogs and is very against it. She thinks it's not going to be a good pet for the kids but obviously knows nothing about labs. My husband runs a warehouse so he has the opportunity to bring the pup to work with him every day so she can get the attention and training she needs. She will have a kennel that is kept there. We already talked to his boss about it and he is ok with it. So my mom won't even have to deal with the dog! My mom and I are very close and I respect her opinion (usually) but I feel like she is wrong to discourage me this way. My three year old is so excited about getting his new pup and I know they will be great friends! Btw we are also planning to do puppy classes to teach our girl the best manners! How can I convince my mom to come around? I guess she will as soon as she meets that cute little ball or fur! How can you not?!
    Trisha

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

In my experience, people who don't like dogs won't be convinced by words alone. She may come around once your have that puppy, or once the puppy is grown into a well behaved adult, or once she sees how much your kids love the dog. Or she may never come around.

It's good that she won't have to deal with the puppy while she is watching your kids. That would be quite an imposition on her and she'd resent it, I suspect.

Puppy class is a good start - don't expect good manners to necessarily result from that one class. Most dogs need extended training. Depending on your level of personal experience with dogs, you may be able to do this yourself, but, most owners do benefit from basic obedience classes which teach you how to work with and effectively communicate to your dog.

Good luck!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks! And yes we do plan on continuing the obedience classes!
    Trisha

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Erendui is offline Senior Member

When I got my pup in October, I had a very unexpected negative reaction from the majority of my side of the family, even from ones who have had dogs in the past! Once they met Bilbo, their icy hearts melted and now he is as loved as if he was my (human) baby! It did really upset me that so many people reacted negatively to my dog, which included both my parents and their partners (who adore him completely and often ask that I come round to their house with him), my grandma (who has dementia and was convinced that I'd spent all the money she'd ever given me on getting a dog, despite having written thankyou letters to her throughout my degree stating how I was very grateful that she had sent me money and I was spending it on my education) who actually brought up the topic of Bilbo last time I saw her, despite only having seen pictures of him. Now I've just got to win over my great aunty Hazel who said when I got him "Dogs aren't welcome here!", despite her nephew bringing his v. naughty spaniel around to her house all the time, and she used to have a spaniel in the house too! I was very insulted by this, as I really love my Aunty Hazel, and she is more like a grandparent to me than my actual grandparents. She just judged Bilbo before even seeing him! Hopefully she will meet him on neutral grounds and learn to love him. Dogs (esp. lab puppies) are great heart melters

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

On a more humorous note. When my husband and I met we both had yellow labs (Cait and Travis who fell in love before we did). Shortly before our wedding, we adopted a Newfoundland. My mother was so upset that she wrote me a really nasty letter, ending with "at least you could have waited until you were married!" Duke then became our "bastard" son. Cait and Trav were part of the wedding but Duke was banned. It took awhile but my mother finally came around to how dumb that was.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

People have strange reactions to things. My mom had something against chocolate labs, she thought it was a terrible choice for our family (even though my parents had a yellow lab at the time, my kids were 10 and 14, and my parents live 10 hours away). If I remember correctly, she knew someone with a chocolate lab and the dog was crazy and out of control. My parents visit fairly often, and in the beginning she would act very nervous around Bauer (keep in mind she had a yellow lab ). My mom was going through chemo for breast cancer a couple of years ago, and she stayed with me while she received treatments. Bauer refused to leave her side while she was here. He stayed with her when she wasn't feeling well, and became her companion. She LOVES him now.

Quote Originally Posted by rayluckgoo View Post
    On a more humorous note. When my husband and I met we both had yellow labs (Cait and Travis who fell in love before we did). Shortly before our wedding, we adopted a Newfoundland. My mother was so upset that she wrote me a really nasty letter, ending with "at least you could have waited until you were married!" Duke then became our "bastard" son. Cait and Trav were part of the wedding but Duke was banned. It took awhile but my mother finally came around to how dumb that was.
    That is hilarious!!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I think a Lab puppy is an excellent choice and will be a great friend for your whole family. When we got our chocolate lab in June, everyone (friends, family, neighbors) loved him. In mid Oct. he jumped on me, knocked me down and I broke my hip. I'll be returning to work the middle of next month. As the only "breadwinner" in the family, this caused great financial hardship. But I was amazed at how many people asked if we were getting rid of the dog? NO. He is our family. Accidents happen. Hopefully your Mother will learn to love your new addition, if not, it's her loss. These dogs have so much love to give and ask for so little. Although, while reading the above comments, I wanted to say...puppy school, sure. Obience class, of course. But training is an on-going thing. Which I was reminded of when my Jack went (it's almost over I think, HOPE) his "teen age" years, when he acted as though he forgot everything he ever learned. I posted in this forum frustrated and sad and the people here were so understanding and encouraging. You'll love this web site, it's so helpfull, I wish I could meet all the people that post here (and their marvelous dogs) in person! I didn't mean this comment to go on and on....just want to say adopting a pet is a big committment. It's work, but for every effort you put forth you get back ten fold. A dog is a great friend and companion. Lab's are rated as near the top (or maybe the very top) for family pets. I hope your Mother will see how friendly and full of love the puppy is and her heart will melt. Good luck to you and can't wait to see pictures of the new baby when you get her!
    Last edited by KathyArch; 12-18-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    I think a Lab puppy is an excellent choice and will be a great friend for your whole family. When we got our chocolate lab in June, everyone (friends, family, neighbors) loved him. In mid Oct. he jumped on me, knocked me down and I broke my hip. I'll be returning to work the middle of next month. As the only "breadwinner" in the family, this caused great financial hardship. But I was amazed at how many people asked if we were getting rid of the dog? NO. He is our family. Accidents happen. Hopefully your Mother will learn to love your new addition, if not, it's her loss. These dogs have so much love to give and ask for so little. Although, while reading the above comments, I wanted to say...puppy school, sure. Obience class, of course. But training is an on-going thing. Which I was reminded of when my Jack went (it's almost over I think, HOPE) his "teen age" years, when he acted as though he forgot everything he ever learned. I posted in this forum frustrated and sad and the people here were so understanding and encouraging. You'll love this web site, it's so helpfull, I wish I could meet all the people that post here (and their marvelous dogs) in person! I didn't mean this comment to go on and on....just want to say adopting a pet is a big committment. It's work, but for every effort you put forth you get back ten fold. A dog is a great friend and companion. Lab's are rated as near the top (or maybe the very top) for family pets. I hope your Mother will see how friendly and full of love the puppy is and her heart will melt. Good luck to you and can't wait to see pictures of the new baby when you get her!
    I was knocked off my feet by my first pup Samson which ended up a few years later with operations on my knee.

Puppies do not look where they are going ! It's something that they have to learn !

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I know she will come around as soon as she meets the knew fur baby!
    Trisha

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I'll make a bet with you. After a few months to a year your mother will soften on the subject and not only that you will find her sneaking the dog treats and talking softly to her (when no one is looking of course).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast