Considering getting a Lab! Need information.

Thread: Considering getting a Lab! Need information.

fletcherw1000 is offline Junior Member

LightbulbConsidering getting a Lab! Need information.

Hello people!

My name is Will Fletcher, I am 22 years old and I live in San Diego, California. I know this forum is for lab owners but I really just have a few questions I would like personally answered.

1) What is the best labrador food out there? I've heard that blue buffalo is a good one. Any others?

2) Do Labradors or Retrievers shed more? Apparently they shed about the same and the labs fur is harder to clean up? More clarification.

3) How often should I wash my lab, and with what?

Thanks!
    -Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Hi there,

There is no one food that is good for "labradors". Each dog is different even within the breed. If you are going with a breeder and have done your research to find a good breeder, ask what they use and why.

What do you mean Labs VS retrievers? Labs VS goldens? (Both are retrievers). Labs shed A LOT. Not sure what they mean by "harder to clean". It vacuum's up nicely. It can get into some materials but that will be true of most dogs with coats like a lab.

Always use dog shampoo (not human) for washing a dog. Labs should only be washed with soap when they absolutely need it. The soap strips their coats of the oils that protect it. Over-washing is not good. I think most members wash (with soap) once a year if that (indoor dogs).

Are you going to be getting a lab or do you already have one?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We only bathe Sophie when she rolls in cow poop or gets skunked! As far as food, any good quality food. The thing is, many dogs can do well on a food and along comes one that doesn't. I would start with what the breeder is feeding and go from there. Yep, they do shed. It seems like the chocolates don't shed quite as bad for some reason....maybe its just my imagination....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

You're making (or already made) a fine choice with a lab. I've had German Shepards, Huskeys, Mutts, and my last dog was a hybrid wolf....Jack is my first lab, I'll never have anything else. They are excellent family members!! Good luck to you and don't forget we'll need to see pictures