Rescued this stray: Humane Society says Border Collie..Friends say Lab. Thoughts?

Thread: Rescued this stray: Humane Society says Border Collie..Friends say Lab. Thoughts?

BDC/Neville is offline Junior Member

DefaultRescued this stray: Humane Society says Border Collie..Friends say Lab. Thoughts?

Hi Everyone: I just found Just Labradors (nice site) and registered + now posting for first time. Hopefully someone out there can help. The local Humane Society had this sweet guy down as a Border Collie/Collie mix. However, since I brought him home pretty much everyone says Lab. He seems to have had a pretty rough first 8 months or so but in only 12 days he is really coming around. I am hoping there are some lab experts out there who may be able to help determine breed. It is not that big of a deal but I am really curious. Does he look like a lab based on the posted pics? Are there any definitive and unique lab traits? He is great with my little westie and two cats and kids. He likes to chew and unfortunately is quite the diggger---a few mini Grand Canyons have already manifested in in my yard! Those may be all puppy traits, however. He has a slight limp and seems a bit malnourished and timid, but otherwise is turning in to a really wonderful dog. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He could be part Lab, but the only thing about him that looks Labby to me are the ears. The body type looks very BC.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Definitely has lab ears, but he looks to be mostly border collie - maybe lab is part of the "mix". Anyway, he's a cutie and i'm sure whatever he is, will provide you and your family years of love and enjoyment!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

he looks like a mix to me. lots of possible bc but there is something else in there. maybe a smidge of lab. hard to say. sometimes by looking at temperment and personalities you can get some more clues on breed.

welcome and thank you for adoption a dog in need, he is certainly a cutey no matter what he is
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Kelly.Neville 11.23.12.jpgNeville's new bed 11.23.12.jpg Thanks for the responses. I definitely hear about the "Labby ears." I posted on a Border Collie forum and it was often commented that he looked lab---thus the post here. Tanya, I am googling labs and their traits to see if they match up. If the sweetness I hear about regarding lanbs is true then Neville must have some of that in him! I tried to post a few more pics but do not know if I did it correctly. (I had to spoil him with a new bed) If anyone knows of any specific special lab training techniques I'd love to hear about them---Assuming he has some lab! Thanks again.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

there is no training technique for labs. a dog is a dog first and foremost.

He is likely a mix of many breeds. chances are his parents were mixes themselves. Which makes guessing breed fairly difficult. i think I see a smidge of hound in there as well as a herding breed and lab
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I've had several breeds of dogs in my life, training is basically the same, I personally think. I'm all about possitive reinforcement and have trained all my dogs in that matter. I will say however that my chocolate lab has been the easiest so far to train. He's very smart, a very quick learner. When I got Jack, I became totally hooked on labs, but I agree with tkeizer, whatever breed he mostly is, I'm sure you'll love him and he'll be a great family member.
    Congrats on your new 4 legged son

Tanya: He probably is a "mix of many breeds." They said his mother is Australian Cattle Dog although they can't confirm that. I googled a pic and didn't see any resemblance to one. He's probably ten or twenty breeds! I totally agree on the positive reinforcement--He has been through enough and that seems to work anyway. Also agree with KathyArch on "whatever breed he is we will love him and he will be a great family member." We already do and he already is. He was hangng with all of the family/guests at Thanksgiving like he grew up here!

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

He is beautiful! Congratulations to you all for finding each other

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Thank you for giving a deserving animal a loving home. I am sure that in the law of averages, the ears and the chewing he must be part lab. Please be careful that he does not swallow anything that will cause him trouble. My Jack put everything in his mouth in the beginning. I was always pulling something out...... but we made it. He is well past all of those behaviours. Enjoy your new treasure because what ever his origon he will bring you all a lot of joy. Welcome to our forum.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."