Hello

Thread: Hello

Grissomthelab is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello

Meet our new rescue, Grissom.

He's 1 year and 8 months, we got him from a shelter out of fort worth. He's skin and bones right now and doesn't know any tricks, but does appear to be housebroken. He's our first rescue and he is seriously the most lovable dog I have ever met. We hope to learn as much as we can on here so we can better serve our new kid.

Here's a couple pictures.

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...m/Grissom2.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...m/Grissom3.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...m/Grissom4.jpg

And one where he's skinny. http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...m/Grissom5.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Grissom looks very sweet......lovely expression. Thanks for rescueing him. The Lab Chat section of the forum tends to get the most action, so hope you'll stick around. Many of us have been members for years.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome Grissom!! We are glad to have you. I am thankful you rescued the sweet boy. He has such a sweet, precious look on his face. I wonder how long his was in the shelter, and how he ended up there?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

According to shelter vet records, his first exam was the 28th of Oct, so I assume it was around then(We adopted him Nov 11th). Last year our Rottweiler passed away with bloat at 12 yrs of age, it was very quick and sudden and left a huge void in our hearts. We have a 4 year old Pug(Stewie), and while he's the love of our life, I just felt like something was missing.

We had talked about rescuing for several months but had our minds set on rescuing a Mastiff. On Nov 11th(Sunday), we were looking at various rescue sites and stumbled upon a Mastiff mix on petfinder.com. We had not really considered going to an animal shelter, we thought it might be in our best interest to rescue from the various organizations that does more testing and behavioral analysis(Since we had our little Pug). He was located 200 miles away from where we lived, and they happened to be open on a sunday.

When we arrived at the shelter, nothing could have prepared us for what we were about to see.... They obviously were doing the best they could but the conditions were horrible and chaotic, which is pretty much like any shelter I suppose. We went in and finally saw the Mastiff mix, which happened to look more like a Boxer up close, the man there that fed the dogs and took care of the kennels told us that he absolutely would not be a good fit for our Pug because he was very dog aggresive.

We went up and down the kennels looking at every dog, there were so many jumping up and down, crying, sticking their arms out trying to just touch us, it was absolutely heart breaking and I think my wife broke down several times. We kept passing by this kennel with a beautiful lab mix in it, and the card on the kennel only had one description: Digger. We stopped and asked the man about the dog, and all he could say was Digger means he is very destructive. We passed him up and looked at over 6 dogs and let them meet Stewie, we just didn't feel right on any of them. We thought we were going to end up leaving without rescuing one(Which if you've ever been in a shelter, is very hard to even contemplate.)

We walked up and down one more time and there he was, just standing there calmly looking at us and we both agreed that we'd do a meet and greet with him. When I first met him he walked up to me and just calmly laid his head in my lap, I was sold right then and there. My wife brought our Pug into the small area to meet him and he growled immeditely at him, I was heart broken, thinking dear god it just isn't going to work. My wife explained to me that he had his tail wagging when he growled, so I stopped being defensive and gave them a little room.

She was right, he and Stewie got along great!!

The very next day we brought him to our vet, he weighed 45 pounds(You can see all his ribs) and had a minor case of kennel cough, he is otherwise healthy. He has no training, but he has not had one single accident in the house, he has already learned to sit, fetch and lay down. He is very calm, mellow and just loves to snuggle and be by you all the time. He's a very finicky eater at the moment but the vet said that is probably due to a new enviorment as well as the fact that his stomach has shrunk.

He has chewed up one sandal, and one controller, but that is not his fault, he has not learned boundries yet(though we are trying to set them, it is a process).

We're in love with him, and he is the best fit we could have ever hoped for.

Digger? HAH, more like a cuddle bug.

Also, my vet did not see him as a Lab mix, she said it possibly could be a lab/golden retreiver, but she was pretty sure he was all lab.
    Last edited by Grissomthelab; 11-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Grissomthelab View Post
    We have a 4 year old Pug(Stewie)
    You have a .......... PUG? WE NEED PICS! There's at least 2 other Pugsters on here.

It sounds like Stewie made a good choice. Ronnie (my Pug in my siggy pic) immediately accepted Holly (my GSD) when I adopted her. After she died, I went looking for another Lab. Saw one at the SPCA & Ronnie outright rejected it. I finally found Bear on another rescue site & they hit off straight away. They were inseparable until I lost Ronnie last year. Bear got to pick my current rescue Pug & they too are inseparable. I call them the siamese twins. Pugs & Labs make a great combination.

Thanks for saving him. It sounds like you'll all be having a lot of fun years together.

This thread tells you how to add pics to your posts:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...otobucket.html

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Sounds like you picked each other
    He is a beauty!!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am so glad you rescued him! Labbies are so smart, but they can't resist some delicacies like flip flops, sandals, bedroom slippers and coax and plastics like game controllers! Sophie has quit chewing most things, but can't resist flip flops or bedroom slippers. The other day I heard a crunching sound and she was chomping my husband's good headphones! I told him not to leave them down! She is 19 months and still loves to chew. I expect your boy is the same way! I hate going to shelters too! It is so heartbreaking. I wish I could take them all! Realistically, being retired, we can't afford to give more than the 2 dogs and 2 cats we have the proper care. If you want to make one or two of your pictures a siggy, go to the top of this page. Click forum actions, then click edit profile. Then when that opens, on the left click signature. Then you can add photos from photobucket. Your avitar is the little picture by your name, and you do it the same way, just click avitar. Glad to meet you, Texas!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thanks for the link, I don't know why but when i resize the pictures using photobucket, they still look abnormally large.. Have to mess with it I suppose.

But here is our Pug stewie's album: csmerrick's Library | Photobucket

Most of the pictures were taken when he was between 10 weeks and 2 yrs old. The most recent ones however are from today, he's a little overweight but we're working on it, it's just very hard because he is ALWAYS hungry.

amzee90 is offline Banned

hello and welcome to the forum

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Thank you for making that one last trip by "the Digger". You won't be sorry. He will bring you much joy. He will chew but some good choices of toys for him are the ball with the holes in them by Chuck it. They come two on a card and Jack loves his. They last a long time and endure a lot of chewing. Also the Hurley by West Paw. The Hurley comes with a replacement guarantee. Only once though. I got Jack his first Hurley last December and he is still using his replacement. Before these toys I was convinced that they did not make toys that stood up to him. I was so happy to find these because they all need toys and now Jack has several in his toy basket. Welcome to the forum.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."