I WOULD IF SHE WOULD FETCH!!

Thread: I WOULD IF SHE WOULD FETCH!!

duke5386 is offline Junior Member

AngryI WOULD IF SHE WOULD FETCH!!

My wife and I have a two year old female yellow lab, almost pure white with a little bit of cream and some rusty ears. She is my first and her third (first yellow lab). Wife says she has the best temperment of any lab she has had and she is fairly well trained. So well in fact that she "asks permission" before we let her up on the couch. We keep her as active as possible, anything from swimming in the pool to 20 minute fetch sessions throughout the day to leaisurely walks. She definitely lets us know when she gets bored. She is quite vocal! Last year she seemed to lose interest in fetching altogether. So my solution was to slice a hole in a tennis ball and put a few treats in it. It worked. She loved it! When she brought it back, she got a treat. It wore her out. A few months ago, the same thing happened. She would go after it then bring it halfway back and drop it. Then all she seemed to want to do is sniff. So, I tried something that had worked before- a NERF Vortex football. It's one of those with the tail on it that whistles when you throw it. That worked for a couple days and then back to sniffing. I can't even get her attention. All she wants to do is SNIFF!! I'm out of ideas. She's not getting the exercise that she needs, and at this very minute I am dealing with her expression of BOREDOM!!! I am open to ideas if anyone has any. I would appreciate it

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

How about mental activity?

Fetch, swimming, running, walking, etc is great, but you need to exercise her mind as well. She sounds like a smart cookie - what do you currently do with her that is purely an exercise for her brain? Do you practice training?

BTW - Welcome to the Board!!

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Welcome! I also second the training for tiring the mind. As for the fetch... no idea. My boy is a fetching fiend and my girl loves to make him miserable by stealing the ball.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

not all dogs like fetching. while I agree it's a nice, fun, easy way for the human to exercise the dog, some dogs just don't love it. I would stop making such a big deal out of it and put the efforts in finding different types of exercise. off leash walks in new places, trips to a dog park, visit new places, try a new class, work more on mental exercise, go jogging, set up play dates, go swimming, etc. etc. etc.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh well hey, if she likes to sniff, work on scenting! (if there are no classes, read up and do it at home)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    oh well hey, if she likes to sniff, work on scenting! (if there are no classes, read up and do it at home)
    Great idea, Tanya! I agree... she seems to be telling you what she wants.

duke5386 is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the advice! I didn't even think about scenting. Maybe it's because I take her to the same field every time? Also, she'll fetch all day if I take her to the pool. I can stand 10 ft. away and throw the ball and she catches every time then brings it back. She's really into that. We had been socializing her with friends dogs, but they've all moved away (I'm in the Marines). She's about to go into heat again. So, that might be a reason.