Hello from Arizona!

Thread: Hello from Arizona!

Windala is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello from Arizona!

Hello everyone! I know this is a lab forum, and I do not have a purebred, but he is a lab mix. I got my puppy, Kovu, from a lady that lived on an Indian reservation at 5 weeks old. Now I know he was to young to be given away at 5 weeks, but it was I take him or he would have ended up on the side of the road or worse. The only thing the lady told me is that the mommy was a lab, other than that they think they the dad was a lab mix but they are not sure, the mommy had run of the land. I have had many people tell me he looks lab and some say pit mix. I don't care that he is mixed, but I have been doing my homework on both breeds to understand my puppy better. He is now 11 weeks old, and one of the biggest problems we have had with him is he wants to eat everything!!! I just don't mean chew... I mean we had to take him to the vet because he ate 2 rocks at 6 weeks old... He is still trying to pick up and eat everything, rocks, leaves, sticks, and whatever else you can find outside. Taking him out to go potty outside is crazy! LOL I have him on a leash at all times but he does still pick stuff up and I say no and take whatever it is out of his mouth but jeez! And another thing is he inhales his food! No chewing just in and gone. I have to give him a little bit, wait a minuet then give him a little more. So each feeding is split up into 3 or 4 parts. My other dog is a germanshep/boxer mix. She is 5 and half years old, and has been the best nanny for him. He has been to the vet many times already for shots and check ups and goes back this Friday for his 3rd set of shots. So if anyone has any ideas that have worked for their puppy please share!

Here are some pictures of my dogs. Kovu the puppy and Nala my older dogy.

5 weeks first day home.

11 weeks with my other dogy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!
    My pup had a thing for eating rocks and shells when he was younger as well. I think he eventually just grew out of it. I spent a lot of time making him drop things up until then.
    For food - maybe you could give him his meals in one of the treat toys so that he has to work a little harder to get it out and will eat a little slower?
    I know other also put a ball in the bowel or spread the food out on a cookie sheet to try to slow their dogs down.

lavery28 is offline Junior Member

They are so cute and the puppy looks so proud, like he wants to do the right thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

He is adorable!!

Windala is offline Junior Member

He is sooo smart! Maybe to smart! I read that labs pick up training really fast and can be taught many things from a really early age. He loves food!! He knows if I have his bowl he can not have it until I take my hand off it. He learned this at 7 weeks old. So I make him sit and wait and slide the bowl around and tap it on the floor. He does really well being patient and holding himself together until I let it go. Now we have gotten to the point where I wont open the pantry door, where his food is, unless he is sitting and waiting, and he doesn't jump all over me while I scoop his food out of the bag. He learned really fast if he just sits there and waits he gets his food sooner. He does this FUNNY thing where he sticks his tongue out while he waits for his food. He has been doing this from day one and I hope he still does it when he is fully grown! SO FUNNY!

He drools sometimes too! LOL

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Magnificent photos! LOVE the one with Nala lovingly holding onto
    her little brother! And the tongue, cute! I favor tongue photos, took some last night of my
    little man.

I would suggest teaching him "leave it" when it comes to the rocks and things he shouldn't
    eat or even pick up. As well as "drop it" once he does pick it up.

My Kayce was a goat as a pup, she ate everything. Surprised she never got sick or a blockage.

Welcome!