I dont know what to think or do!

Thread: I dont know what to think or do!

Tyshyne is offline Junior Member

DefaultI dont know what to think or do!

I have always wanted a labrador or golden retriever growing up. I used to visit this pet store yes PET STORE that sells puppies. At 24 I decided to get one. He is the most adorable little guy. He is yellow but more white and unique with a lighter brown nose and green eyes. He wasn't cheap and I knew that coming in, they say they come from a reputable breeder they have been using for 20 years! I have paper work on his, pedigree, photo of mom (brown and green eyes) and dad (yellow/white). The lady was super helpful and he had a great temperament yet being in a metal bin I think you would be quiet. But my husband and I fell in love. I didn't think much until I got home and looked up training, ect and thought I would review the store... BAD IDEA! Looks like the "breeder" is a puppy mill! Now the more I research the more I understand with it being in a pet store. Labs are one of the if not the best tempered family dog. He is nippy but playful even though it cuts the skin and hurts and is starting to get comfy at home. Potty training... going ok. He hates the crate and wants to sleep next to you. Now back to the "breeder", I did some research and am appalled! Looks like she sells to pet stores and is based in kanas. BJ'S AND GUYS? I am sure you have all heard of her. Now, we have the pup, we love him. I worry he wont be like a normal lab. Have there temperament and loyalty and intelligence. I cry thinking what it was like for him those first 8 weeks before he was shipped to a pet store where he sat for a week until my husband and I came and picked him up.

What is done is done, he is ours and we will love him and do our best to make sure he is healthy, happy and well mannered. Now is there anything that can be done about this? What would you reccomend in trying to be a part of stopping this and please can anyone calm me that my lab will be ok!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Listen - don't beat yourself up. I read your other post and had a pretty good idea that your puppy was from a puppy mill. Pet store + Kansas breeder = puppy mill.

You can't undo any of that. But - you can work to socialize your puppy and get into a puppy kindergarten class to A. Train you on how to manage and train your puppy and B. socialize him with other puppies which he may not have had enough of. They usually don't leave them with sibs until 8 weeks at mills - they ship at 6 weeks at the latest.

And be sure to talk about what you have learned about puppy mills with your friends. Every time someone buys a pup from a pet store, an adult is forced to produce another litter in some squalid cage somewhere. The only way to close down puppy mills is to stop buying ANYTHING sold in a pet store that sells puppies and kittens. (excepting the ones working with rescues) No food, no collars, toys etc - no business coming in will close them down.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lovedogs is offline Member

Hello! Honestly one way to stop it is to not support them. That is not meant to be harsh either, it's just the truth. Also educate others on pet stores and puppy mills and BYB's. He could be a healthy dog or a very sick dog. It really is hard to say.
    I would start out with a vet appointment to make sure he is healthy now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lovedogs is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Listen - don't beat yourself up. I read your other post and had a pretty good idea that your puppy was from a puppy mill. Pet store + Kansas breeder = puppy mill.

You can't undo any of that. But - you can work to socialize your puppy and get into a puppy kindergarten class to A. Train you on how to manage and train your puppy and B. socialize him with other puppies which he may not have had enough of. They usually don't leave them with sibs until 8 weeks at mills - they ship at 6 weeks at the latest.

And be sure to talk about what you have learned about puppy mills with your friends. Every time someone buys a pup from a pet store, an adult is forced to produce another litter in some squalid cage somewhere. The only way to close down puppy mills is to stop buying ANYTHING sold in a pet store that sells puppies and kittens. (excepting the ones working with rescues) No food, no collars, toys etc - no business coming in will close them down.
    I was typing at the same time as you.
    OP I agree with this post.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

If it makes you feel any better, one of Koivu's best girlfriends is a yellow lab from a pet store/puppy mill. The lady would never buy from there again, but her lab is doing just fine. She's a little on the small side maybe, has a TON of energy - but that isn't all that uncommon. She's a sweet, cute dog and as far as I know, no health problems thus far (she's about 2).
    Just love and take care of your little guy and spread the word not to buy from puppy stores.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

And - as was mentioned above a vet visit is the first thing you need to do with any puppy you get (reputable breeder, pet store, rescue - wherever). You want to be sure not to expose the puppy to areas where parvo might be present - so pet store floors, vet floors, parks - keep the puppy in your arms if you go there. Safe places (friends who have fully vaccinated dogs or areas not frequented by dogs are OK. You want to expose the puppy to new people and sights/sounds while ensuring that you are careful about exposing him to germs/viruses.

At the vet I would hold him and put him on a towel when you have to put him on the exam table. You can't be too careful.

And - no dog parks until he is fully vaccinated and bigger.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

A lady I work with bought a JRT from someone she thought was a proper breeder. Not long after they'd got the puppy home, they discovered he had a serious heart condition - the vet's fees came to £7,000; they had to remortgage their home.
    It turns out the bitch had produced puppies before with the same condition but the breeder carried on using her anyway. Elaine and her husband went to court and were successful BUT to get compensation, they had to return the puppy. They knew he'd be destroyed and couldn't do it; by this time he was a part of the family, so she's working two jobs to pay the money back to the mortgage company.

Josie68 is offline Junior Member

Hi,

I lost my 3 year old gorgeous lab in an accident in August, in Malta. Malta isn't the easiest place to locate a quality healthy lab, but we thought we'd found one. He was definitely younger than they told us, and he was clearly taken away from his mum a lot earlier than he should have been due to his snarling biting teething behaviour, and no puppy etiquette. He is meeting other dogs. So I beat myself up that I should have saved up and waited rather than give in to everyone telling me to get on with it. Like you whats done is done, and I'm having similar problems to you. You are not alone it happens the world over. Money drives them, and not animal care. We took our straight to the vet so he could start his jabs asap, and get a health check. Always here if you want to compare notes :-)