Hello from Florida

Thread: Hello from Florida

SweetShelby is offline Senior Member

DefaultHello from Florida

Hello, my name is Christine and I live in Sarasota.

I'm excited! I'm currently awaiting the birth of my puppy from an online breeder. (My fingers are crossed they will have at least 3 males available because I'm third on the list.) Previously, I only owned GSDs that I raised from pups to old age and this is my first Lab.

Hopefully you won't mind my questions in the upcoming months. I'm looking forward to chatting and learning all I can about the wonderful world of labs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lovedogs is offline Member

Hello!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Hi and welcome....
    when is your litter expected to arrive?

Thanks for the welcome, lovedogs, Sophiesmama, spiritedfilly115. Spirited, the litter is due Oct31/Nov1.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Hello from Sarasota! When your pup is old enough you'll have to take him to the dog beach in Venice. We love it there!

That's great to hear, not to mention we're neighbors too . Yea! I can't wait to take him there. How old do you think he'll have to be to be taken there? I plan on making sure my pup goes through Obedience training at Sarasota Obedience Training Club. I can start puppy school when he's 9 weeks old.

Have you taken your dogs to Bird Key Park or Lakeview Paw Park? I live closer( not too close, I have to drive to it) to 17th Street Paw Park and have friends who take their dogs there but I'm curious about the other parks.

Gorgeous pictures of your dogs at the beach, Were they taken at the Venice beach?

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Yes, those pics are from Venice beach though they're outdated at this point. Was there last week and it was covered in dead fish from red tide Hoping it'll be fine by this weekend.
    I've been to both Lakeview and 17th St. Lakeview it MUCH smaller. I liked it better when Koivu was younger, because I felt it was easier to keep an eye on him there and my BF's mom went there with her dog, so at least I knew someone. It is dirtier (less grass), but has more shade. I rarely go there anymore, mostly because 17th has more room to run. People do take young puppies to the dog park, but personally I would wait until you have a pretty good bond with your dog and start at a less crowded time if possible. Obedience and puppy classes will be great for initial socialization. You can also take him to the downtown market on Saturday's for crowd training, but it can be a mob scene during season. Lots of people and their dogs though. There are also quite a few doggie daycares in the area if that's something you're interested in.
    Bird Key is alright, but it's too close to the road for my comfort. Koivu would probably be fine there now, but it freaked me out when he was younger. It's also very rocky there. You can go under the bridge where it's slightly more beachy and further from the traffic, but that area is often populated by people fishing.
    There's also water access at the park next to Mote Marine (the park is on leash), but for me, by the time I drive out there, I might as well drive a little longer to Venice and let him run free.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me. My life revolves around my dog and I'd love to meet your pup when you get him

Thank you very much, I'll PM you tomorrow for more info. Oh and, we'd loved to meet you and your dog too.