Hello from Colorado

Thread: Hello from Colorado

mylablucy is offline Member

DefaultHello from Colorado

Hi everyone!

I posted a bunch on the old forum and then a little here on the new forum. My lab Lucy is pictured below. She was my best friend and companion for eight years. Unfortunately we had to put her down last July due to cancer of the small intestine. It was a brutal three months of misdiagnosis during which we tried everything under the moon to get her health back. In the end we had to say goodbye. Wow, I'm crying again just writing this. I always said that I didn't want to be without a Lab in my life, but I always wanted it to be Lucy.

Now 14 months has passed, healing has occured both from the loss of her and my marriage, and I find myself wanting another lab. Yes, I'm super nervous about it but I think its a healthy nervousness where I want to be even better for my next pup than I was for dear Lu. Life is different now than when I got Lucy. I worked from home when I had her as a puppy whereas now I work about 20 minutes away. (I have multiple people lined up to come let the new pup out mid day). I'm more grounded, more responsible, and have a clear understanding of what it takes to raise a healthy and well adjusted puppy whereas before I just "winged it". But still... is anyone ever truly ready for something they know will be a total life changer?

So... anyway, I'm here introducing myself. There is a litter about an hour north of me that has three yellow male puppies available any time (they are eight weeks old.) The same breeder has another litter that was just born and therefore the pups wouldn't be ready for seven-eight weeks... but that puts the take home date "right" before Thanksgiving. Lots to consider on which route is best for me - now or November... but in the meantime, I wanted to reintroduce myself and say HI!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lovedogs is offline Member

Hello I am new too. Sorry about your loss.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Hello Colorado! I am glad you came back to us. I am so sorry about poor Lucy. We lost our Maggiemay in May 2011. It was sudden and devastating. Many of us here can empathize with your feelings of loss. I am also sorry for your marriage troubles and I hope things get better for you. I am glad to hear you are planning to get a puppy. Sophie has helped us so much. I don't think I'd be where I am now aftet losing Maggie if it weren't for Sophie. We wanted another female and found a good breeder about 150 miles from here. Good luck, let us know what pup you decide on.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pyro is offline Junior Member

I miss the mountains of Colorado, what a great place for Labs!
    Summi - Over the Rainbow Bridge, Always Remembered.

New member here, sorry for your loss...

...Good luck with your new puppy!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Good luck in what ever you decide. Maxx was a HUGE help in healing my heart after losing my Ozzy.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome back. Personally, I'd be a little concerned with a breeder who has 3 unsold 8 wk old puppies and another litter on the ground at the same time. Most reputable breeders have waiting lists......
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Welcome back. Personally, I'd be a little concerned with a breeder who has 3 unsold 8 wk old puppies and another litter on the ground at the same time. Most reputable breeders have waiting lists......
    This. Do you have a little time to step back and research what a "good" breeder is and how to tell? Does this breeder have clearances on both parents? Are boht parents on premises? Do they do anything with their labs? Where and how is the litter raised?

While it happens a breeder may have two litters close together, it should prompt you to ask questions.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky