Greetings from Lousiana!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Lousiana!

DoggieMommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultGreetings from Lousiana!

Hi, I am a new member - just want to say hello! I am from S. Louisiana, and we have 2 sweet labs in the family, Bird and Bunny.

Bird is 5 year old yellow and is currently overweight so I will be looking for some help with that. Also, Bunny is an 8 mo. chocolate - we just welcomed her to the family 2 days ago. It has been a while since we raised a puppy so I just wanted to join up with the forum here for some training refreshers and ideas.

Bunny (unfortunately) hasn't had much training. Her previous owners found themselves overwhelmed by her energy and size and had to let her go. So we are getting a late start with her.

We think Bunny would make an excellent agility or field competitor. My husband is the dog whisperer in the family so most of the training falls on him. However, I would really like to teach my 11 year old daughter to take charge of the pup's training. Anyway, hello to all and I am looking forward to talking with y'all!

- DoggieMommy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome! We love pictures and look forward to yours! There is quite a lot of info online about overweight dogs. Here is one link: How Your Overweight Pet Could Benefit from Foods Low in Caloric Density | petMD I am so glad you rescued Bunny, it doesn't sound like she had much of a family life or training before you got her. Older puppies can be challenging when training. Just be patient and consistant. Find a schedule that works and stick to it. Keep her thoroughly exercised. A tired labby is a good labby!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! Yeah, I have done plenty of research and I feel like I am doing all the right things - the weight just isn't coming off. I won't get into details here, I may start a thread in the proper place to ask for some advice because I am just not sure where we are going wrong.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieMommy View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I have done plenty of research and I feel like I am doing all the right things - the weight just isn't coming off. I won't get into details here, I may start a thread in the proper place to ask for some advice because I am just not sure where we are going wrong. O

Thank you for the warm welcome!
    Reduce the kibble and add in plenty of green beans. Use green beans, apple slices and other veggies and fruits for training treats. As well as small pieces of diced chicken or freeze dried or dehydrated liver. Several good walks daily and plenty ic
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Foxred12 is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Kid 12, Squirt 6, Tosh 4,
    Curly Born 11-10-2011
    Ember 9/10/2000 -- 8/25/2012

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

Thank you, that is good advice. Since you guys don't seem to mind talking about it in the Intro area of the forum, I will give you some more details. I also tried to attach some pictures, so hopefully that worked.
    Her weight came on because we became careless about her treats, and I realized everyone was lavishing treats on her and sneaking her people food, not knowing everyone else was doing the same! We had a big family discussion and nipped that in the bud, and she has lost just a little weight, but it has been a few months and it is coming off so slowly.
    After looking around the forum, I decided last evening that we'll reduce her kibble from 1 1/4 cup to 1 cup (2x/day). We do give her fruits and carrots and we let her have a few tablespoons of ground beef sometimes (maybe once a week). I know she likes green beans, too, so I will try that suggestion.
    Her exercise lately: weekdays, 20 mins. of bumpers in the morning and 20 mins. in the evening. If I am able to come home for lunch I toss the bumpers for her for about 15 minutes. During the week I take her on a 40 minute walk, maybe twice a week. For the last two weeks I haven't been able to take her for walks, I tend to be either very busy at work or not busy at all. Weekends she gets long walks, extensive truck rides, visits with dog friends, and gets to swim in the river at least a couple times a month, depending on the conditions at our swimming hole.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, hopefully the pictures uploaded! Bunny won't hold still so I don't yet have many that aren't a blur!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since the pics worked, I couldn't resist posting this one more of Bird. She is a bit of a couch potato. If we aren't enticing her to fetch or walk, this is what she likes to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

smokey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieMommy View Post
    Since the pics worked, I couldn't resist posting this one more of Bird. She is a bit of a couch potato. If we aren't enticing her to fetch or walk, this is what she likes to do.
    Welcome! This last picture had me laughing til I cried. I love it!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

Great pics! If the two pups are able to play together often bunny will most likely get bird running which will help quite a bit.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast