Re homed puppy

Thread: Re homed puppy

Swinney2407 is offline Junior Member

PostRe homed puppy

Hi my name is mark, me and my family have recently re housed a 6 month old black Labrador from a rescue centre in the uk, bonny has been with us now for four days , every thing was fine until she had a little nibble on the wood on our stairs while we're asleep last night , could any body give us any tips on how to nip this in the bud early on, Any help would be kind , thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Do they sell crates in England? If so get one. If not (my friend in Germany had never seen one used for dogs in the house), get a baby gate and put the pup in a small, safe room.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Supervise and find a safe place for her when you cannot watch. labs are known chewers. Make sure the pup has plenty of safe chews (nylabones and such).

In north america we use crates, a large "cage" that becomes a dog's den (and if introduced properly, most dogs come to love) to keep the dog (and your stuff) safe. But I realize this is not very common (and even seen as cruel) in some places in europe.

ETA: make sure the pup gets plenty of phsyical and mental exercise as well! a tired puppy is a good puppy.
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys , just found out the puppy is crate trained , I had a chat with the home we had her from and we are going to give her a few days to get used to her new home as she hasn't been here long , if there is no change we shall be getting a crate

Samson is offline Senior Member

I would cut your losses and get a crate anyway as no doubt you will need it.

This is as much as for the pup's protection as your furniture etc as she will get into everything given half a chance - shoes - remote controls - glasses, you name it and it costs a lot of money for stomach surgery to remove an obstruction.

Leave her out of the crate when you are able to but keep a close watch on what she puts in her mouth.

I would suggest getting as large a crate as you can, but ensure that there is a divider in the crate so that while she is a pup she is restricted to only part of the crate as this will deter her from using the crate as a toilet. If you are leaving her for any length of time in the crate then think about getting some kongs. You can stuff them with a little peanut butter or yoghurt and freeze them which will keep her entertained while you are out of the house.

This should be ideal NEW 3 Door Design (Up + Over) 42" Dog Cage with Divider and Bed: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies? but i would hold off getting a bed for the bottom of the cage. Newspaper would be as good as anything for bedding at the moment.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I would also get some beef shank bones. Get them large enough so your dog cannot swallow them and small enough that your dog can comfortably manipulate the bone in her paws. We have a bone box for our 2 year old that she has had forever. When she wants to chew she goes to the box and picks a bone. Sometimes she can't decide and we have 10 or so bones scattered around the house...but she isn't chewing on the furniture. We continually throw away smaller and older bones and replace them with fresh ones.

I have purchased a crate and Ida using it for the first time today , she has been in and out of it quite a lot so let's hope it works , thanks

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

That will be the best way for you and she to remain friends. My son`s lab chewed all of the slats on the deck and the whole thing had to be replaced. They will chew when left alone and it can get costly. They do not know the value of things. My neighbours took their dog to the SPCA when it was a year because it ate the leather couch. Jack was in a crate until he was two when we were not home. I always made sure that he could stretch his legs before and after and we avoided so much damage. He has not used the crate since 2 but I am keeping it just in case I get another young one. Good Luck and remember not to leave anything in the crate with her that she can swallow and choke and it is a good idea to remove her collar when in there just in case.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."