Help !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help !

mnevruzi is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp !

Hello, everyone!
    So my dog is 4 months old and she bites, a lot! And the problem is that she bites me out of every single person in my family!
    I have tried several methods like ignoring her or holding her muzzle, but I feel like these methods are not working.
    Please tell me what to do!? I feel like I won't be able to make her stop biting me.

P.S. Roxy is actually very smart, I taught her the sitting command, laying and the roll over command.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the board!

You have listed the two most successful methods. How long have you tried one single method for?

The muzzle holding method- for like a month and it's been a couple of weeks since I started ignoring her. Actually, I am still doing the first method when I am trying to escape and when I do that she bites even harder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Redirect her to her chew toys. She does have toys doesn't she ? You have to be persistent and consistent over a period of weeks. She's still a baby. All will be fine given time.

Yes, she has a lot of toys, but she prefers biting me instead. :\
    I will be persistent, but do I have to choose only one method?

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mnevruzi View Post
    The muzzle holding method- for like a month and it's been a couple of weeks since I started ignoring her. Actually, I am still doing the first method when I am trying to escape and when I do that she bites even harder.
    When you try to escape she probably thinks your playing with her. When she bites you grab her by the muzzle and give her a "no bite" command. Make it a nice firm and loud command so she knows it means business. If she continues give her the command, get up and walk away. I would also try the bait and switch approach. If she bites you, give her the command and swap your hand for a toy that she can chew on then praise. At 4 months she is probably teething. I know my two are!

Unfortunately, this didn't work well with my girl Zoey. I had to go by the advice of the breeder to stop this. When she would bite me I would yell "OW" really loud, take my thumb and pointer finger and pinch her either on her nose or around her muzzle. Got to do it gently but enough to make it uncomfortable. She came back and nipped me again, I repeated and she backed off. Repeated for a week and she stop biting me. Occasionally I still have to remind her not to bite or tug on my clothes but repetition is key! This was a last resort for us. I was able to use the muzzle method with my boy Leo with great success! They are puppies and will try and push your buttons. Repetition is key! Have to be consistent or it won't work. Choose one method and stick with it.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

Thank you all so much!
    One last question- is it right to give her treats in order to distract her?

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mnevruzi View Post
    Thank you all so much!
    One last question- is it right to give her treats in order to distract her?
    Treats should only be used to praise her...not as a distraction. I would use a toy for that instead.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

Okay, thank you again!

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

I agree on holding the muzzle, and using a loud, firm NO, or OW. Be consistant.
    I would say no on the treat to distract her, thats just rewarding a naughty behavior. Use a toy, lots of toys, great for teething.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast