Getting a New Girl baby - Daisy

Thread: Getting a New Girl baby - Daisy

sathya7583 is offline Junior Member

SmileGetting a New Girl baby - Daisy

Hi All,

I waited for 7 weeks long to get a good Lab breed in Chennai, India. I have named her Daisy, Its completing her 7th week with her mom by today and I have planned to take it to my home on this Wednesday. Guys please let me know from when i can start House training for her and also advice which is the good food available in India. Thanks in advance.

Sathya here….

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! You should begin housetraining immediately, take puppy out immediately after eating, upon waking in AM and from naps, after play time and approximately every hour or so when awake. Praise puppy when she does as asked and you should quickly have a good grasp on housebreaking. I am sorry but I don't know anything about food in your Country. What is your breeder feeding? I would continue that for a while unless it is of poor quality. Good luck.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Hi Tammy, thanks a lot, happy to get ur feed back, as u are a Senior Member i will go by your words... I checked with my Breeder he is giving Daisy Royal Canine (Puppy food), Here in our Country we get below Foods easily in every pet shop.

1. RC
    2. Hill Science Diet
    3. Drools (Indian Food)
    4. Pedigree
    5. Nutripet (Indian food)

Please do advice me, generally which content or Ingredient should not be there in Dog's food, so i can easily find out and i will avoid it if required.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would stay with the food the breeder has her on. You don't want to take a chance on upsetting her system with a food change, and RC is a good, quality food. We look forward to seeing pictures of Daisy as soon as you bring her home! Welcome to the forum!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Ruby's Mom is offline Member

I would check out dogfoodadvisor.com Royal Canin only gets 3 stars in most categories. Nutritionally speaking there are much better foods out there. The first ingredient is chicken meal! Then chicken fat, then corn. I would be aiming for 4-5 stars, 5 if possible. Visit the dogfoodadvisor.com and check out which 5 star food you can get where you are, then make the switch gradually. Breeders don't always use the best food available. The first ingredient should always be a meat, not with "meal" after it. Corn is nothing but a cheap filler.

Hi Pam,

Your Sophie is looking too good... Thanks for your valuable comments, actually the breeder has given poor quality of food to Daisy and to her siblings then i purchased a RC 4Kg for Junior and asked him to feed to all the puppies... People here are too different they sell puppies @ 35 days some times even in 30 days without vaccination.... I had a big conversation with my breeder and forced him to keep my puppy for 7 weeks.... People here needs money every time when u go to visit puppy... very few good breeders are there in chennai, India.... Anyways I will post my Daisy pics soon

| Sathya |

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I know how excited you are Sathya! I remember counting the days till we got to pick up Sophie! I know it is different over in India than it is here, and from what I understand, food choices are limited. Try to find the best one you can. Remember to gradually change her over to the new food, by adding a little to the present food and increase the amount to add to it over several days, till it is all new food only. Watch her poops after the change. If you see constipation or diahrea, it may be too rich for her or she just might not do well on it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby's Mom View Post
    I would check out dogfoodadvisor.com Royal Canin only gets 3 stars in most categories. Nutritionally speaking there are much better foods out there. The first ingredient is chicken meal! Then chicken fat, then corn. I would be aiming for 4-5 stars, 5 if possible. Visit the dogfoodadvisor.com and check out which 5 star food you can get where you are, then make the switch gradually. Breeders don't always use the best food available. The first ingredient should always be a meat, not with "meal" after it. Corn is nothing but a cheap filler.
    There is nothing wrong with chicken meal. That website is merely that person's opinions - it's not the bible.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Ruby's Mom is offline Member

Oh wow my bad, I was thinking chicken byproducts, so sorry!
    Last edited by Ruby's Mom; 08-11-2012 at 08:35 AM.