New puppy tomorrow!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New puppy tomorrow!

Gerrly is offline Member

DefaultNew puppy tomorrow!

Hi all! I'm new here. I'm going to pick up my new baby girl tomorrow morning! She's a beautiful chocolate with green eyes whose name will be Indy. My sweet old girl died last year (her picture is my avatar).

We also have a 4 y/o min pin named Duke, but he's not my favorite. He's my husband's dog, really.
    -Donna
    Indy (6/18/12) & Sonar (Gerrly) (10/7/98-6/9/11)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Congrats, she is precious! Sorry about your previous Lab.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the puppy. You do know that the green eyes won't stay, right??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gerrly is offline Member

Yes, I know. But it's nice while they last!

ETA: my last chocolate didn't have green eyes when we brought her home, so this is different for me.
    Last edited by Gerrly; 08-01-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    -Donna

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Welcome & congrats on the puppy!

How old will she be tomorrow? I doubt you will read this in time, but if her birth date is the one in your siggy of June 18th picking her up tomorrow is almost 2 weeks too early! Are you getting her from a breeder?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Definitely too early, it is a shame you probably won't see this in advance. It would save you a good bit of frustration and be much better for your puppy. It may not even be legal to take a puppy at 6 weeks in PA. When I was looking last year 8 weeks was the norm.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Gerrly is offline Member

Oh my gosh, you're right. In my excitement, I didn't even notice. What would I expect from a puppy that young? I think it is illegal to get them before 8 weeks. What should I do?! I'm pretty sure her littermates are being picked up this week and weekend.
    -Donna

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am afraid to ask, but did you do your research on a breeder or jump the gun as so many of us have done in the past? A reputable breeder is not going to let any puppies go too early, at least none that I have researched. If the rest of the litter is leaving by the weekend I would leave the puppy as long as possible. If you have to take the puppy it will be extra work on your part, not that it can't be done but it seems very frustrating from stories I have heard. Finding a puppy kindergarten class that the puppy can safely go to before the entire series of shots are done would be a great thing. Friends and family members that have fully vaccinated dogs that are friendly and will play with your puppy on a regular basis will be a huge help in teaching bite inhibition as well as socialization. It seems they are much mouthier than even normal, if that is possible when they are separated this young as well as missing out on the other things they will learn from their littermates. If you do a search on here you will find many posts from people that have gotten puppies too early, it would probably be best for you to read some. I think you will get a better idea of what you will be facing as well as tips on how to help you with issues that may come up. I hope all works out for you and your new baby.
    ETA - has your breeder done all the clearences on the parents of your puppy? That is so very important!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Rut-roh! Huge faux pas on the breeder's part! Did you do research before your selection? No reputable breeder would release puppies at 6 wks old, sorry.

It is possible you have already fallen in love with this pup, but I would run the other way & find a proper breeder. Have you put any money down, if so can you get it back?

You are in PA there are many members here in that area that could point you in the direction of a better breeder. I would be worried about more than just a 6wk old pup, what about clearances? If the breeder is releasing the pups at 6 wks, what else have they not done properly? You could be stuck with a pup that you will have more than just behavioural problems with.

Gerrly is offline Member

Thanks for the replies. Thing is, they aren't considered breeders by state standards because they only have the 2 dogs (family pets). So, it isn't illegal. I'm more concerned about the behavioral issues than the legality, to be quite honest. I really don't want to say the owners are malevolent in any way, but I think it's much more likely that they were going on the advice from their vet. I actually spoke with their vet on the phone (she had given me his info) and he said it was okay. I guess I really am a novice at all this, after all. I know a lot about labs, but admittedly not much about the puppy process (I was only 13 when my parents bought my last lab). At any rate, yes the puppies' parents have certified "good" eyes and hips. I knew enough to ask about that. I'm going to pick her up this weekend instead. Is there any benefit to waiting even longer, given that the other puppies will be gone by then?
    -Donna

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast