Hello from Texas!

Thread: Hello from Texas!

Malikai's mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello from Texas!

Hello everyone,

I'm Malissa and I am the new owner of Malikai, a 7 month old Lab/Coonhound mix. I am also mom to Ida, the great Pyr who is 1 year of age and Angel who is a 15 year old German Shepherd/Border Collie mix. All three are rescues, coming from either families who couldn't handle them anymore or rescues. Angel was my first rescue and came to me from a local dog pound in the city I grew up in, back in Ohio. I've had her ever since and she is a very sweet dog. Ida came to me second, her family was rehoming her because she was constantly breaking through their underground fence, she was not phased at all by the shocks. The owners admitted to me that she had been outside since puphood and her only companions were their other dogs. Recently I made the big move from Michigan to Texas to live with my husband who is stationed in Ft. Hood. My husband and I had been talking for a while about adding a new addition and originally we wanted a husky but while browsing through craigslist we saw an ad that caught our eye. When we saw Malikai's picture he melted our hearts as did his story. He was part of an oops litter between someones lab and coonhound, the owners had gotten him as a pup and were keeping him outside because they did not have the time to spend training him. With time, he got strong and was to hard for his mom to handle. When we finally met Malikai he was just a big loveable goof, yes he's strong but it is nothing that cannot be fixed with a little training and love.

Since adding Malikai to our household the only thing we've had a huge issue with is barking. He has a loud, high pitched hound bark that drives everyone absolutely mad but this to is just another bump in the road that we are working on. He's a sweet, loving boy with lots of energy which will be great since we love taking long walks and having all kinds of fun with our furbabies.

Also in our household are two kitties, rain and Nyx who were found abandoned on the roadside in the middle of nowhere. We love our little family and I hope to share our adventures and meet many great people here on the forums!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome Malissa! You have quite the family there, how awesome that they are all rescues! Malikai is a cutie.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! You did such a good thing, rescuing the boy! I worry so much about people who place ads for pets on craigslist. I have heard horror stories of people getting animals for target practice or ritual sacrifice! Thank goodness you rescued Malikai! He's a handsome boy! Try redirecting his barking. Side track his attention with something else. Also, give him loads of exercise. Tire him out! If you have taught him the "speak command", try putting a hand around his muzzle and commanding "don't speak"! I would use his name and say Malakai, Don't speak! In a firm voice with a hand on his muzzle. Some others on here may have other ideas. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Malikai's mom is offline Junior Member

Thanks for such a warm welcome, I've heard some of those stories too. It drives me crazy that someone could do that too any living creature. When I look at places like craigslist I wish I could take them all and give them a wonderful home. Often times when people rehome they don't get enough information about their dogs new owners and never know what happens to them, sadly, some don't even care. We live in a small apartment but I take a 1 mile walk in the morning before DH goes to work, then another before bed. We also have lots of play time during the day. We live in an apartment but there is a decent amount of yard out back and I have a long horse lung line (50 foot) to use for playing fetch and other activities. I will definitely try redirecting. I've also been trying to teach him "Speak up" to see if I could teach him to bark on command if it would help him to quiet down when I don't ask him to bark. The main concern living in an apartment is we are afraid to leave him alone because as soon as we step out of the room with his crate he goes nuts. We have a bark collar but it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.