Hey everyone!

Thread: Hey everyone!

caitlin617 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHey everyone!

I'm Caitlin. I just adopted a Black lab that is about a year old. I got really lucky with this one. He is already potty-trained,knows how to sit,lay down, fetch, and doesn't really jump up too much. Plus, he is super sweet and only mildly interested in my cat. He seems to be a bit stubborn though. He refuses to get in the car... I literally had to carry him to the car and lift him in there. Another thing is, he won't eat from his bowl. I have had to hand feed him. I know I should just wait it out and when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat from the bowl, but he just hasn't eaten that much since I brought him home. I tried watering it down, but no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also think he is allergic to my cat. When he comes inside, he gets all stuffy, but clears up when he gets outside. I know my mom's lab has a lot of allergies, but I am not really sure what I can do to help him.

photo(8).jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome! hes a cutie!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Do you free feed him?? If so don't do that anymore. I give mine 2 cups in the AM and 2 in the PM. If he doesn't eat it in 15 minutes pick it up. Also stop hand feeding him he will eat. How long have you had him? He may just not be comfortable,yet.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

caitlin617 is offline Junior Member

I've had him almost a week. I tried taking it up after 15 minutes and tried feeding him again that night, but he still wouldn't eat it. So, after only eating once in a week, but being really interested in our food, I caved and decided that he had to eat, so I hand fed him again. My suspicions are that his old family fed him a bunch of human food.

deidra is offline Senior Member

It has only been a week so give him some time. I don't know if anyone else will agree with this but maybe mix in green beans to his food. I do with my dogs(it acts as a filler) and they chow down,lol.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.