Hello from Oregon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Oregon

Erin's_Boyd is offline Junior Member

SmileHello from Oregon

Hello, I'm Erin from Oregon and I am adopting a 3 year old, male Chocolate Lab this Saturday.
    This will be my first time having a Labrador since I was a kid. Boyd has some skin and minor behavioral issues, so I am hoping to get guidance from you all.
    Boyd will be our second dog, we also have a Scottish Terrier. We also share our home with 9 parrots and 3 cats.

Boyd was my niece's dog, but she is going to college, working two jobs and has been leaving Boyd alone in the house all day so it was either me or a shelter, so I snatched him up.
    My family and I live out in the country with a lot of land and plenty of room in the house.

I had actually been looking for a second dog for awhile and I was days away from getting a Saint Bernard, until my niece contacted me over Facebook, pleading with me to take Boyd, so here we are
    On Saturday morning, my husband and I will be taking an 8 hour round trip to pick him up.

He is on Natural Choice food for his skin issues and his behavioral issues so far are destroying the house, garbage, a fetish with blankets and eating everything in sight. I can probably help the behavioral issues by getting him outside more, more exercise so that he isn't bored all day.
    I'll bring him to my vet on Monday morning for an exam.

She doesn't have any recent photos, but this is him as a puppy. I'm sure I'll be taking lots of recent ones once I bring him home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome!!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome and thank you for saving this dog (not sure why a shelter was her other option - there were others, like if you could not take him, she coudl have found a rescue or another home herself but that is neither here nor there)

I would get a crate and crate train him (it is never too late) and sign up for an obedience class. The "behavioral" issues dsecribed are normal for an under-trained under-exercised under-stimulated labrador. With patience, training and exercise they should be straightfoward to adjust.

Has he ever been around cats? I would go slow with the intro to cats and ensure they have safe places to get too.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think she did try, but no one wanted him. Her mom (my sister) has had him for a few weeks, but he was too much for her and she works all day as well.
    Boyd has been raised with cats and a small dog, he's gentle but he does like to try to play with them. My cats usually spend most of their time downstairs or in the sun room and the parrots have their own locked tight bird room.
    We do have one obedience class in town and I took my smaller dog to it, but I was not happy with it. I don't know what the standard obedience class is, but all she did was tell us how to teach them tricks. He graduated knowing shake, sit and spin. We're about 2 hours away from a big town, that has more options.
    I do have a crate, but I wouldn't know where to begin with crate training a dog, we never did with our other who was adopted from a rescue at 2 years old.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

feed the dog in the crate from day 1 (you can leave the doo r open at first). throw high value treats (though not bones) in there randomly for him to find. once he's going in there happily to get stuff you can start closing the door while he eats. Then when you are ready for short stints in teh crate, put a high value treat (or I just throwt heir food in there, no bowl) and close the door behind them and leave.

Actually, I rarely have time to do the above and just get them in teh crate and leave but that isn't the best way haha (I foster - sometimes a foster arrive and I have to get to work and haven't had enough time to properly introduce them to the crate). If this dog is destructive exercise alone may not be enough to stop him from destroying things. And it isN,t just about the value of your stuff but their health, dogs can eat something and get an obstruction or eat something that makes them sick.

That sounds like a trick class not a basic obedience class. Maybe they have a new teacher in your area?

Set the rules from day 1 (minute 1). Start giving him boundaries and reinforcing them (but be patient, it will take repetition to get him to understand)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

That sounds pretty simple, I'll do that.
    Originally I was thinking about putting him in the garage or guest room while I was away, but the garage can get pretty hot and there are lots of fun things to rip apart in the guest room
    I (try to) run every evening, so I think he would enjoy that and burn off some energy. I also have a 100ft runner that we have near the orchard for our other dog. We spend a lot of time outside, so he won't be in the house much.
    I really hope he adjusts well. I've only met him 3-4 times, but he is a sweetie. When he greets someone, his whole body wags.

I'm off to the store to get some big dog supplies and lots of toys to keep his mouth and mind busy.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Hi Oregon! I'm here in Oregon too!! We have other Oregon members on here as well. I am glad you are rescuing poor Boyd! I doubt he has had proper training. Labs are smart, and he will know he is in a new place, and he will look to you to be told how to behave in his new space. The thing is you need to be consistant. Don't let him slide one time and reprimand him another. Exercise is the key, a tired labby is a good labby. They will destroy the house if bored or unsupervised. Good luck and we're here when you need us!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Welcome. Crate training as Tanya said is a must. The "behavioral" issue was most likely due to being left along for long periods of time and from lack of social, physical and mental exercise. Be very patient and in time he will become a great family member

earthybee is offline Junior Member

Congratulations on your new addition!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast