Hello from the Poconos!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the Poconos!

AbbyGraham is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello from the Poconos!

Hello!

Our lab doesn't come home for another week or so, but I thought I'd say hello now, since I'm getting things ready for his arrival. My husband and I have this very day found "our" puppy, a male American/field lab whose name is still being discussed at great length.

I'm going to just go ahead and apologize in advance for the endless questions. I'm a pro with cats but this is our first dog (apart from childhood pets). Our puppy will be joining a two-adult, 3 cat, no kids household. I'm a part-time writer (look for my first novel in 2053!) and my husband telecommutes, so we're both home all day. I'm very anxious that we be a good home for our lab and have researched myself into a bit of a state already. So much information! I figured a few more experienced voices might be handy to have around.

~a

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to this board. Yes, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board. Get ready, using the term 'American lab' can get people going. Having a 'field bred' lab may also get people going too. No worries though, just filter those people out. Like I just wrote, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board. You will just have to have a bit of a tough skin and you will be fine.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Hello Poconos! Tell us more about your new baby you will be bringing home! How old is he? I am assuming he must be about 7 weeks or so, if you are bringing him home in a week. Take the time now to puppy proof your house. They can find just about anything to put in their mouths! Just like having a baby in the house. You can also read-up on the breed, and buy all the "stuff" the puppy will need. This forum has a search feature that can help you when you begin to train your boy. We've all been there, done that! Labby puppies manage to get themselves in trouble a lot! They are precocious and loveable all rolled into one! We have our Sophie, a "field-bred" chocolate, she's almost 15 months. She has our heart wrapped around her paw! We are retired, and I am glad we were home to train her and didn't have to go off to work. I think you being home will be an advantage as well. Naming is fun! I wanted something to indicate Sophie's color as well as her parents. Her mom is Cheyanne and her dad is Harley. So I came up with Cheyley's Cafe au lait Sophia. That is her AKC name. "Chey" from Cheyanne, "ley" from Harley and cafe au lait is French coffee with a little sugar and a splash of milk. Sophie has a splash of white on her chest and she's coffee colored, she's sugar sweet, so...there you go.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 07-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyGraham is offline Junior Member

Hello! Sophie is beautiful! Love her name, too, it works perfectly.

Our puppy is 6.5 weeks, and is allowed to come home on the 16th. We've got some flexibility there, though and may end up waiting a little longer. This issue seems to be much debated (like everything else about dogs!), but my reading suggests that while 7 weeks is ok, 8 or 9 weeks is better. Since we don't have any other dogs at home, we'll probably err on the side of caution and leave him with mom an extra week. Our vet hosts socialization parties at the office and we'll be doing classes when appropriate, but going from living with both parents and all the siblings to being the only dog in the house will be a big change for him. The dog search has been going on for a long time, another week or two (probably) won't kill us. Meanwhile, my to-do list is filled with reading, crate-buying, puppy-proofing, rearranging the furniture to accommodate the crate and creating a new "cats only" zone so our feline friends (and their litter & food) have a pup-free place. We're also getting the weeds and undergrowth cut back. The house is in the woods and there are deer around several times a day, the ticks are awful here.

As for names, my husband keeps suggesting physicists and I'm countering with all my favorite muppets, so there's no telling what we'll settle on in the end!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Being with mom at this point is not so important. Its about being with the other litter mates from whom your pup is learning critical lessons. 8 weeks is just fine.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome and congrats! I look forward to pictures when you bring your baby home.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

When you bring your puppy home imagine the puppy as a grown dog when you interact with him/her. For example, the puppy putting his paws on you is cute when he is iddy bitty. It isn't cute when they are older. Puppies get big really quick so the cuteness factor on things like that wear out quickly.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Abbysmomanddad is offline Junior Member

Welcome, and congrats on your new puppy. We also live in the Pocono region. Our Abby is now almost 9 months old and she is a great dog. The best advice I can give is spend as much time with your new boy as you can, training him to be the perfect Lab for you. Labs are very smart and learn quickly. We had Abby house trained in less than a week. Since then she has never had an accident. She also doesn't need the crate anymore. She has been left alone for up to 6 hrs. and hasn't destroyed or even disturbed anything. I agree with training early to avoid unwanted behavior later and he must understand that you are the Alpha from the beginning. Read through and search this forum as there is a wealth of info here.
    Good luck with your new pup and take lots of pics....they grow like weeds!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Puppies need to be with mom and siblings till 8 weeks if at all possible, so you are chosing the right way. What color is your puppy?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast