HI FROM PA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HI FROM PA

WaylonsMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultHI FROM PA

Just wanted to say HI. Im a new member to this forum. My name is Stephanie and I lived in Harrisburg, PA. I have a 9 month old English Chocolate Lab named Waylon. He is my 2nd chocolate lab. We got Waylon when he was 2 months old after losing our 11-year old Chocolate Lab named Copey just 2 months prior. Love my labs....best companions!
    Waylon--Born 9/22/2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Waylon is sooo handsome! We too lost our 12 yr old a couple of months before we got Sophie. It is so hard, the loss is so great! Well, welcome to the forum Stephanie. There are quite a few members from PA on here, maybe you'll connect with some of them.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thank you. Sophie is so pretty. Looks like she is 5 months older than Waylon. We didnt even know our last lab was even sick. We came home that night and he was fine. Woke up around 4 am with him hacking and panting..thought it was just his allergies again. Then a few hours later, everytime he would try to lay down, his tongue turned blue/deep purple. We took him to the Emergency Vet and they said that his heart was twice its normal size, he had a tumor on his heart which was pressing up against his esophagus, and he had only one functioning lung. I now know what to look for, so if Waylon starts showing any signs, I will be taking him right in and try to catch it sooner.
    Waylon--Born 9/22/2011

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am so sorry Stephanie. I can relate to you though. Our Maggiemay was 12. She was fine and healthy. She was outside and was petted by the neighbor, came in and ate and went back outside. A few minutes later, my husband yelled to me that Maggie couldn't seem to stand up. I ran to her and she was panting rapidly. We called the vet, loaded her in the car, was at his office within 5 minutes. When we got there he said she was grave. He put in an IV and I went to the car to pray. Within 15 minutes she was gone. She had an abdominal aneurysm that burst. We had no way to know something like this was coming. I still remember the shock and tears and just wishing the pain would stop. We got our Sophie about 6 weeks later. We had to wait for her to turn 8 weeks old. She has helped so much with our grief. I still cry for Maggie, especially when I look at pictures of her. I am not sure if it is harder when they die suddenly or not. I just know it is hell to lose those we love so much. I sure understand how you feel after losing Copey. Our situations are sure similar, aren't they! Waylon is such a joy, I am sure! These pups keep us on our toes, but are so worth it! My biggest problem now, is...I watch Sophie like a hawk! I stay nervous and fearful that something will happen to her. Do you feel that way too?
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Our situations are alot alike. There isnt a day that doesnt go by that I dont think of Copey...somedays are harder than others. I still have the bad dreams of me sitting on the vet floor after we had to make the decision to put Copey down and holding him and telling him I loved him and that we'd be together again someday as she put him down. I then layed on the floor with him for about 5 minutes. We had him creamated so I still have him with me no matter where I move to (if I move again). I met Copey when he was 5 years old (he was my boyfriends dog) and he was mixing people food in with his dog food. He ate everything from cheeseburgers, pizza, ice cream, etc. He knew what McDonalds and Wendy's was. Somehow he was never overweight I didnt have Copey around from birth but we grew a bond really quick and we were inseperatable. I do watch Waylon like a hawk. I vow with Waylon that things are going to be different. He has gone to the vet for all his checkups and shots and he eats Organic dog food and treats (doesnt get any people food except carrots and grean beans). Im trying not to be too overprotective but catch myself doing it all the time. Even though he is 9 months old, I still refuse to leave him with my mother-in-law or anyone else. The only time I have left him so far is when I go to work and when he goes to the groomers. Im afraid that other people wont watch him and he'll get ran over or let him have something he's not suppose to have. I'm sure I'll eventually start trusting people, but dont think it will be anytime soon.

I hear ya! I don't like leaving Sophie either. My grown sons watch her and a friend comes to Sophie-sit when we need to all go as a family. I keep thinking I will get past being a neurotic basket case worrier, but so far I haven't!
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear about your loss of your Lab Copey. Waylon is adorable, love your siggy pic!!

Well if you dont, you wont be the only neurotic basket case worrier out there....I probably will still be one too
    Waylon--Born 9/22/2011

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome Stephanie, I am from PA too! I also lost my 8 year old, Ozzy, very suddenly a year ago, it was a terible shock. I still miss him so much. I also have a Lab/Border Collie mix, Emma, she will be 6 in July and the newest love of my life, my black Lab, Maxx, he will be a year old in July also. He is absolutely my precious baby and he makes me laugh every day! I am so sorry for your loss of Copey, it really sucks. Waylon is very handsome and I am sure he has helped you as much as Maxx has helped me and Sophie has helped Pam. I look forward to getting to know you!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thank you Tammy and Diesel_Dawg. Waylon has helped a little each day deal with my loss of Copey. What part of PA are you from Tammy? Your dogs are beautiful!!
    Waylon--Born 9/22/2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast