New to the Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Site

ChrissyAnn is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew to the Site

Hi,my name is Chrissy, I came across this site while searching for a remedy to bring back the beautiful shine to my Chocolate labs coat She isn't an inside dog, she stays outside, but she's part of the family. Her head and legs still have that pretty sheen to them, but the rest of her has splotchy patches of lighter color and it's dull. I've bathed her good, brushed her out to removed the fur that's shedding. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do for her. I love this dog, she is at the end of the deck everyday to meet me when I come home from work. She knows my car and goes crazy when she sees it coming, lol. She sits, puts her paw up to shake then of course wants some love, lol. She will only eat the Wal-Mart brand dog food Ol'roy. But if there's a better food out there that will help with her coat, her health, etc, then we will try it and see if she'll take it. Just want to make her as pretty as she can be. I normally use regular flea/tick shampoo on her, but I'm willing to try other things, even home remedies if someone has one. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anyone may have!!

I've attached a pic of her from last summer, I really want to get her fur/coat back to this beautiful color!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Welcome from another chocolate lover
    There are a lot of previous threads about the pros and cons of bathing (mostly cons). I only bathe Duke when he gets in something stinky. I groom him 2-3 times a week year-round, using a sort of shedding tool (since he does shed a bit) and a brush to stimulate the natural oils.
    I feed the best that I can afford which definitely helps with a healthy coat. I also give him a can of sardines (water packed kind) maybe once a week. Coconut oil is also good for the coat. If you can feed something better than Old Roy, it would definitely help a lot.
    I don't know if Labs can get "sun bleached" from being outdoors all the time. Does your dog have shade available all day?
    Good luck with your Lab. I'm sure more experienced owners will chime in with suggestions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you bookwormbiker. I actually just went and bout her some Pedigree brand dog food. She's nibbling on it now, so maybe she will take to it. Yes she does have shade available all day during the day. We keep her tied out on a lead because I'm afraid if she ventures to far, I may not get her back (fear of someone taking her). She's actually laying in the shade of trees know, rolling in fresh cut grass, lol. Thanks for the input, it does help. I'm willing to try about anything.

KayKay, I love the pics. People just don't realize the joy that animals bring. I'm also a cat lover. I have a huge housecat also. I don't know what I'd do without Dutch or my cat Jasper, lol. I'm not sure I would have another dog or cat if something happens to either of them. Thanks for the welcome

Tanya is offline Senior Member

she is tied to a tie out, outside, all day, every day?

A good food will help her coat. Ol' Roy is bottom of the barrel when it comes to dog food. Anything is better really. Pedigree has a few good lines I think, but some pretty low end ones as well. Salmon oil can help.

Too much bathing can make things worse. it strips the oils that protect the fur.

Yes labs coat's can be sun bleached. My own indoor boy has a few spots. so I'd imagine a dog that was outdoor all the time could have much more throughout their coat.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Tied all day.... oh boy..../ As far as helping with the coat....fish oil caplets are what we give Sophie. Also, Old Roy is a low quality food, which can affect the coat. Pedigree is better than Old Roy, but still not such a good food. Here is a link that you can assess foods. Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings Since your dog lives her life outside, she is exposed to the elements. That could have something to do with her dull coat. She sounds like such a good girl, so smart. Don't you have a better alternative than having her live outside and tied up to boot? Dogs have been known to get tangled and choke when left tied.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 06-23-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Ok, I will be the bad guy and please know what I have to say is not meant to be rude. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just don't know better.
    First of all WHY is your dog tied to a tree, outside all day??!! Labs are very social dogs and NEED to be with their family. NO dog deserves to be tied to a tree, for ANY REASON all day, especially not a Lab. If for some reason you can not trust her to have full run of the house when you are gone, either crate her or block her off in the kitchen, utilty or laundry room. Make sure any potentially harmful items/cleaners, etc are locked up or well out of reach, preferably in another area of the home. Second, yes, the sun will bleach her fur causing splotchiness. As for bathing her, Labs rarely require baths unless they get in to something really stinky. If need be a quick rinse of her coat occassionaly is all that is necessary. Third, what you are feeding your dog is not a good choice. If you can afford better please do some research and find a good quality kibble for your dog. I think you will be amazed at the difference a good quality food makes in your dogs coat and overall condition. There are many to choose from, change over gradually to avoid gastro upset and find one that works well for YOUR dog. What works for one may not always work for others. Pam gave you a link to help you get srarted with researching. Many places ship for free.
    Again, I hope you understand why I have said the things I have. I hope you do the right thing and treat your dog the way it deserves to be treated and I wish you the best of luck. If you truly care about your dog a change in how you treat her and what you feed her will prove that.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 06-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and the website for dog food research. As far as the ol'roy food, we had tried to get her to eat different foods, she just wouldn't eat them, picked at them. Then when you gave her the ol'roy back again, she'd go right back to eating. I don't live in a city, and our area doesn't have a Pet Store, Wal-Mart is as big as it gets here, lol. We have to drive almost an hour and a half to the nearest Pet Store, but providing we find a better food that is sold at one, we can arrange to buy bulk so we don't have to make a weekly or even bi-weekly trip.
    No, she is strictly an outside dog, but I hope that just because I've mentioned she's "tied" on a run/lead cable doesn't make anyone think she's neglected. Where she is has lots of shade, so she's not out in the sun. She's very loved, and played with daily (tennis balls are her favorite). We've had her in a VERY spacious fenced in lot before with her huge doghouse and shaded/covered area also. She would find every way she could do dig out or get out, no matter how much attention you gave her. But as soon as we put her on a tie out cable and moved her doghouse to the corner of the deck (on the ground, not on the deck) she was fine. She can see the road from there and sees everyone coming and going all of the time, that makes her happy. She used to get off every collar we put on her (like some sort of magician, lol), hasn't tried to get it off once now that she's on her lead. We had alot of trouble with strays coming in our yard, tearing things up, not anymore. Dutch keeps everything ran out, lol.

You all have been so helpful, I do appreciate the replies and the pics of your beautiful dogs. I don't bathe her a lot. We keep her brushed/groomed. Have any of you all found a certain dog shampoo that you find works well on your chocolate lab??

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

If you live in a rural area, try your local farmers co-op. We buy our food there and it is less expensive. As far as tieing up your dog....here is a link from the Humane Society about this: Do You Chain Your Dog? : The Humane Society of the United States and another:
    Is leaving a dog tied up outside and yet another: York County town bans keeping dogs tied outside all day | PennLive.com More: Dog Tip: Backyard Dog, Outdoor Dog: Facts, Guidance, Solutions Another one: http://www.bhg.com/health-family/pet...hain-your-dog/ The list is endless. Please read some of these. I can tell you just one thing that might make you see things differently. The other night Sophie woke us up having what looked to be some kind of seizure. Of course we got her to the vet right away. My point is, you would have missed it if it were your dog. Labbys also require lots of exercise. Playing a little tennis ball isn't enough. I don't mean to sound like I am coming down on you, but would you like to be tied up all day? How would you feel. Your labby is not some dumb animal, and she hates it as much as you would. She is living in a literal prison. You won't find many, if any members here that will agree with what you are doing. You say you love her. Then show it and give her a better life. Its no small wonder her coat is dull. What else could you expect? She eats a food that is nothing but cereal, and gets tied to a tree all day! What about inclimate weather? What then? So I'll get off my soap box now, and pray you have heard my words. (Tammy's too).
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am sorry but a dog tied outside is essentially neglected. The reason she dug under or got out of the fence is because she is BORED. Contrary to what some may believe dogs are not happy being left outside on their own and "played with". Labs a "people" dogs they thrive on being with their family, regardless of what you are doing. They are happy laying next to or on your bed at night, sitting at your feet while you read, use your computer, watch TV, eat your meals, fold laundry, whatever. They just want to be with their family. You are fooling yourself if you think your dog is happy living outside. You can have dog food delivered, without delivery charges, through several sites. Please don't let your distance from a pet or feed store deter you from improving your dog's diet. What ever food you choose be sure you change gradually to avoid upsetting your dogs stomach.
    Pleas think about improving the living conditions of your dog. She deserves NO less.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast