Hi! New here on JL!

Thread: Hi! New here on JL!

CaitlinC09 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHi! New here on JL!

My husband and I recently adopted a 6 year old pure bred Chocolate Lab named Cosmo from our local Humane Society! He is the best dog we have ever had! Looking for some insight on a couple things we are unsure of how to deal with!

1-Not sure if he was ever walked on a leash or not.. we bought an easy leader for him (and he is doing quite well with it) but he hates it! Any ideas on how to get him to heel??

2-He was in a foster home before we adopted him. Cosmo was around many other dogs but since we adopted him he is now aggressive towards some dogs in our neighborhood. We are nervous to take him around any other dogs in our neighborhood due to his new aggression. We are unsure of past but want to make his future better! Any ideas on how to stop his aggression towards other dogs??

Thanks so much for reading and any advise is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! Training a dog to be good on a leash is time consuming. We have been at it since Sophie was a baby. She does well for the most part, but she forgets her training when she gets overly excited. We just bought her a new harness, and she doesn't seem to mind it. She would pull so hard that she would choke herself, like when she sees a cat! We are just keeping at it. I would not be walking your boy around other dogs until you have complete control. How long have you had him? He may still be settling into his new surroundings, and may see other dogs as a threat. I would be patient, and let him figure out he is in his forever home and won't be bounced around anymore.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Pam is probably right, he may need some time to settle in and get used to having a forever home. There are some members here that foster dogs and they may be able to give you some insight. I do think patience and consistency are the most important parts of any training for a dog. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaitlinC09 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your responses! We have had our Cosmo since October!.. He is such a good boy! Hopefully he will get used to walking on a leash and maybe some social classes will help with his aggression!

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Yes perhaps it is what they have said. He has a home and wants no other dog moving in on his territory. Please make sure you keep him from fighting. He is not needing any kind of trouble. Good luck with him.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."