Almost a new lab owner...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost a new lab owner...

TheFaughns is offline Junior Member

DefaultAlmost a new lab owner...

Hi everyone!

I'm so excited that I found this site. My sister (animal lover to the extreme) said she learned the most helpful info from forums.

I just sent my adoption application in to the local Lab Rescue. They apparently very rarely have pups, but have a littler of black and yellow. We hope to bring one home in the next few weeks after their second round of shots.

I'm an over-researcher. I will absolutely drive myself nuts with details. I've been looking online at crates but want to make sure the one I buy is a good one (safe, etc). Costco has a Majestic 48", which is probably too big for $124, and I find MidWest a lot on my searches, but there are a million different types. I just want a basic crate with divider so that we can use it as the pup gets older. I read the thread about the plastic tray being quieter.

So, according to the theads and research, I need:
    Crate - 42"?
    Pinch Collar
    6' Nylon or Leather retractable leash
    Nylon collar
    Metal food and water bowls
    Kong (or similar) chew toys
    Puppy Food - Brand?

Anything else? I want to make sure we are READY for our new addition!!! We are SO excited!!!!

Thank you in advance!
    Sara

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! You'll have to post pics when you get the pup.

I would not get a retractable leash - very little control over a puppy or dog with a retractable leash and much more likely to get tangled up. You should post in the Puppy section or in Lab Chat - more traffic there.

Welcome to the forum!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

42" should be plenty big. but get a divider for the puppy for house training. when training to be clean in the house, the crate needs to be just big enough for them to get up and turn around. this discourages them from doing their business on one side of the crate and sleeping in the other. but this also means you need to get the puppy out to potty every 4 or so hours.

NO PINCH COLLAR. get a simple buckle collar. Pinch (or prong) collars are training tools that should only be used when necessary and never on a baby. You can get a harness if the puppy is very young.

I don't like retractible leash. I suggest a 4" or 6" basic leash for training. 90% of people misuse retracticle leashes. They should be used for dogs that already know how to walk on leash without pulling and in spaces that are wise like in a nature trail where there are few people (like hiking trails or big open fields where you don't yet want the puppy off leash). They are a disaster for walking in the city and training to walk on leash.

Puppy food - wait. see what the rescue is feeding and buy some of that at first. it is best to keep the dog on the same food for awhile. If you choose to change after (and only change if needed) you can browse the nutrition and health section for foods.

If you have to work all day and can't get home to let the puppy out, find a friend, family member or dog walker that can.

Find a puppy class, this is for puppy that don't have all their shots to help socialize and train.

read up on socialization. iF the pups are still babies you do need to be careful WHERE you bring them (no dogs parks or pet stores) but you do need to socialize.

Kongs are great toys.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the greetings and the info. I'm glad you aren't a fan of pinch collars. Reading about them made me feel uncomfortable and leaves too much to me knowing how to do it properly, but the New Puppy page of this site has a lot of people who like them.

I'm a stay at home mom, so the pup will have lots of supervision. Just bought at 42" MidWest crate with a divider. Thank you for the info about the leash. I will get on the puppy forum, once I find it, to get more good info.

Thank you both so much!!! Happy Tails to You!

Sara

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFaughns View Post
    Thank you for the greetings and the info. I'm glad you aren't a fan of pinch collars. Reading about them made me feel uncomfortable and leaves too much to me knowing how to do it properly, but the New Puppy page of this site has a lot of people who like them.

I'm a stay at home mom, so the pup will have lots of supervision. Just bought at 42" MidWest crate with a divider. Thank you for the info about the leash. I will get on the puppy forum, once I find it, to get more good info.

Thank you both so much!!! Happy Tails to You!

Sara
    I do like a pinch collar, but you certainly don't need one for a small puppy. If you devote time and effort into training to walk on a flat collar, you may never need to use any other kind of training collar - but a pinch collar does work well. It's just one tool among many.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm not saying pinch collars are bad or evil. I have used them. just that for a young puppy you need to start with a regular collar.

Has your application been approved? I imagine they have tons of application for these pups!

Make a point to crate and leave the house from day 1. start with short outings so the dog gets used to being alone. It can just be a quick 20 minute errand. I'd also recommend having him or her crated periodically during the day for forced naps. While you clean or do something around the house (and can't keep your eye on him or her)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thank you again! I really appreciate your advice and input!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum and the joy of being owned by a labby! You have gotten some great advice from Tanya and Sharon! I would add that a harness is good for leash training. We just bought Sophie a new one, since she still insists on pulling on her lead sometimes. There are several types of harnesses to chose from. Sophie will just about choke herself out when she gets overly excited and starts to pull when she is wearing her regular collar. She has gotten so much better and will walk like a good girl for the most part. But, every once in awhile she forgets (like when she sees a cat) and she pulls so hard!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your new puppy and welcome!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Ruby's Mom is offline Member

Congrats and welcome. I doubt you need a 48" crate, I have the midwest Icrate 42 and it's too large for my little girl!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast