New lab owner

Thread: New lab owner

flamingdragon2421 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew lab owner

My boyfriend and i just got this sweet little yellow lab that we named Vesta May. She is the sweetest little thing!! I am so glad i got this type of dog just because of the fact that they are super active and could play all day long. I needed a dog that i could get out with and go for a walk or run and play fetch with! She has really made our lives bright! At the current time she is just loosing her teeth and the poor thing wants to play with her puppy friends, but her gums start bleeding everytime. I only found one of them but she has clearly lost several. She is getting so big sooooo fast its almost hard to believe!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the board! She sounds like a lovely puppy!

Only question - you're not running with her on a leash at this age, are you? She is far too young, I think. You don't specify an age, but if she is losing teeth, she is a young puppy, correct?

Over 2 years old for forced exercise is best.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! We love pictures around here! Where are you located?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

My pup is teething too. Chews like a mad dog. Thank goodness so far he has only destroyed his toys and not the house.
    Welcome to the forum.

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

flamingdragon2421 is offline Junior Member

Thanks guys. No deffinitely not running with her on the leash yet we are still trying to get her more comfortable with walking on the leash. We try to either ride around our trails and let her follow us, or go running and let her run with us but we have figured she knows her own limits for the most part and when she is too tired or shes had enough she stops we don't want to over work her. She is almost 5 months old (born January 2nd). The problem is when it comes to water she seems to ignore her limits though! She loves the lake, we take her there alot since it's just down the road a few miles. We have to make her stop after a while for a break. It's like she thinks that water is the world and there is no breaks there. :P Just the other day she chose to swim the lake's border and got half way around before i could catch up to her and get her out of the water! And we are in Michigan

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by flamingdragon2421 View Post
    Thanks guys. No deffinitely not running with her on the leash yet we are still trying to get her more comfortable with walking on the leash. We try to either ride around our trails and let her follow us, or go running and let her run with us but we have figured she knows her own limits for the most part and when she is too tired or shes had enough she stops we don't want to over work her. She is almost 5 months old (born January 2nd). The problem is when it comes to water she seems to ignore her limits though! She loves the lake, we take her there alot since it's just down the road a few miles. We have to make her stop after a while for a break. It's like she thinks that water is the world and there is no breaks there. :P Just the other day she chose to swim the lake's border and got half way around before i could catch up to her and get her out of the water! And we are in Michigan
    I HIGHLY recommend you do more reading on forced exercise and age appropriate exercise. She is still way to young to be running with you (even if she is off leash - if you are going for a run she needs to stay home) or to follow you on the bike. This are age-innapropriate exercise. YES she can follow and has stamina but NO she will not adequately pace herself (she will want to follow you) and it can cause long term damage to her joints you will not see until years in the future.

she is a baby, concentrate on shorter leash walks and free play off leash in the yard (or a park). swimming is EXCELLENT exercise.

she can run with your when she is 18-24 months once she has finished growing.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Welcome. That is a lot of lake to cover. They do like to swim. Enjoy her and we are waiting for photos.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."