Need help!! My Labs chew up everything in sight.

Thread: Need help!! My Labs chew up everything in sight.

twilds is offline Junior Member

UnhappyNeed help!! My Labs chew up everything in sight.

My two labs Bo (2) Ace (1 1/2) are chewing everything in sight up. My grand kids go in to shock in the mornings when they come outside and see their favorite toys chewed to pieces. My husband re-wired his boat about 2 weeks ago and the next morning when he went to load his gear up the newly wired pigtail at the end of his boat was stripped and all on the ground.They just chewed up a whole cooler that was under our shop and a chair on the porch.I love my boys dearly but I am afraid for their lives (joke) my husband hopes they chew up his electrical cord he has running to the boat battery.They are not in a pen most of the time and seem to be happy with no anxiety,but who knows what is in their thoughts. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Labbys chew! They love to! We make sure nothing is left down. If your grandkids leave toys down, they will get destroyed. My 23 yr old son left down his new $30 flip flops, knowing full well what would happen to them, but he "forgot" and they were history in minutes. We make sure all electrical wires ans coax are where she can't get at them. As far as the toys go, they don't distinguish the difference between kids toys and doggy toys. You can correct the behavior when you observe it happening. The trouble is, you let them outside and if no one is watching, they get into trouble! Labbys will eat your furniture too, if left to their own devices! A good rule of thumb is, supervise them, if you can't be there crate or kennel them. They just love it when your back is turned and they can get into trouble. I have heard of labbys eating house moulding, dry wall, fencing, outdoor house siding and about a million other things. They need supervision, bottom line.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Labs chew. Border collies do too. Hopefully someone will come in with some good advice.

Ernie still chews. People say it is lack of exercise, but Erns can have a 4 hour swim and play and come home and chew. Most of them get better as they get older. The only thing to do is keep all toys and things they like to chew away froom them. Ernie can't help himself with anything fleece.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If left in a yard unsupervised without anything to do, they will continue to entertain themselves. Sorry, but there is nothing unusual in this behavior. If you can't bring them in the house and you don't supervise them outdoors they should be in a kennel. They can easily chew/eat something that will injure them or poison them so you are quite correct that their lives are being endangered.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If left in a yard unsupervised without anything to do, they will continue to entertain themselves. Sorry, but there is nothing unusual in this behavior. If you can't bring them in the house and you don't supervise them outdoors they should be in a kennel. They can easily chew/eat something that will injure them or poison them so you are quite correct that their lives are being endangered.
    x10
    what else are they going to do? these are dogs they don't understand good vs bad like humans do they are animals. you leave them loose and unsupervised for hours on end and they'll find their own way to keep busy. don't blame the dog.

Train them, give them plenty of physical and mental exercise and keep them in the pen when you cannot supervise. ideally they should be indoors with you. but unless you put the work to train them and ensure they are exercised (mentally and physically) then rehome them. Dogs can't just be left in a yard and expected to behave.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

Exercise, crate train
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Jack chewed his beds, lots of them as a matter of fact. He got all of the drips in the flower pots. He stripped the wire on the house that my husband installed in case of power outage so we could run the furnace from a generator. It was not turned on but it is hooped. He got all the irrigation in the strawberry patch. All before 1 1/2. He seamed to like everything he could tug on. The good news is that he only chews the newspaper and his toys now. He is a very good boy. He started chewing on the hose that runs natural gas to our BBQ and I said that is enough Jack... I painted it with tobasco sauce and that was the end of all that. He is really a good boy. We leave him loose in the house alone and have done so since he turned 2. He has never damaged anything. He doesn't even chew the paper when we are not there to watch. There is hope. Good luck.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Monna is offline Member

Our boys seem to love anything material/fleecy. They LOVE chewing on blankets. We bought them a few chew toys to try and deter them but they didn't have any interest in rubber things it seems. We recently bought quite a few rope toys and they seem to love them, they haven't really touched their blankets since we got them. That and we are building a collection of treat toys that they also love. As people said, keeping them occupied and stimulated is really the key, and finding things that they are interested in playing with. That's what we have learnt so far from our trial and error experience!
    Charlie and Beau... Brotherly Love

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monna View Post
    Our boys seem to love anything material/fleecy. They LOVE chewing on blankets. We bought them a few chew toys to try and deter them but they didn't have any interest in rubber things it seems. We recently bought quite a few rope toys and they seem to love them, they haven't really touched their blankets since we got them. That and we are building a collection of treat toys that they also love. As people said, keeping them occupied and stimulated is really the key, and finding things that they are interested in playing with. That's what we have learnt so far from our trial and error experience!
    I love your siggy pic! So sweet!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    x10
    what else are they going to do? these are dogs they don't understand good vs bad like humans do they are animals. you leave them loose and unsupervised for hours on end and they'll find their own way to keep busy. don't blame the dog.

Train them, give them plenty of physical and mental exercise and keep them in the pen when you cannot supervise. ideally they should be indoors with you. but unless you put the work to train them and ensure they are exercised (mentally and physically) then rehome them. Dogs can't just be left in a yard and expected to behave.
    Exactly that, we have been lucky with Axel to date nothing has been chewed. Hugo (RIP) was bad, he chewed a very expensive leather office chair in just 1 hour.

Ozzy early days but nothing yet....