New Here. Some ?? about our Lab

Thread: New Here. Some ?? about our Lab

TT19 is offline Junior Member

ExclamationNew Here. Some ?? about our Lab

Hi Everyone
    We have a beautiful silver lab. She will be 2 years old in October.
    Ever since we had her spayed, she has not allowed anyone to ever touch her belly or paws ( they clipped her nails while she was under). We have had her checked by the vet twice since to see if anything was wrong, she checked out just fine.
    Still..you cannot touch her belly or any of her paws without her growling and really meaning it.
    It breaks my heart....I don't know what happened to her. Did they hurt her? What would make her like this?
    Needless to say having to clip her nails is a complete nightmare. She has to be given some meds to relax and even then it's torture ( to us). We do it because we won't subject her to having any Vets or Vet techs touch her paws again. I don't know what else to do. She becomes so agitated and growls. It takes the two of us to do her nails and we talk to her calming and pet her and do anything possible (even give her treats) to help her. I just can't stand it. I feel so awful that she is like this. We also have 2 pitbulls ages 9 and 5 and they adore each other. She has plenty of love in this house.
    We are also working on her diet.. needless to say we didn't know that labs will eat nonstop and are always hungry. We had her tested for thyroid and anything else but she just loves to eat. We feed her 3 smaller meals a day to help her metabolism.
    Never had any issues with our pitbulls, not a single one but our poor little Lab baby...she is just had one thing after another but I will do anything it takes to give her a great life...I just don't know how to help her in cases where her nails have to be done. We have never hurt her clipping her nails. They are black so of course we are very careful but we've tried everything. It's just as traumatic for us because I feel like we are scaring the life out of her.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks so much and I'm happy I found this board.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Watson is offline Member

I've replied to your post in the chat section, but had another thought - have you asked any of the local training schools? We had lots of advice from the lady who runs ours before we even turned up for the first session! Hopefully, the trainers in your area would be as helpful If you're not able to attend their courses, perhaps they could drop by to meet her?

Good luck, I hope it all works out! (and do you have a pic of her? I don't think I've seen a silver lab over here, it was generally black or yellow until the craze for choccies over the last 10-15 years)

TT19 is offline Junior Member

Hi Watson
    Thanks I will look into that.
    I do have many pics but not sure how to post them on here. Not so savvy with the forums.. If you tell me, I'd be happy to share. She's a beauty queen. We also have two brindle/white pit bulls...and they are quite a trio.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Watson is offline Member

try this thread Photo Album
    there's an option to attach files

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Welcome. That is really sad that she is like that. I wonder if she could have been not quite ready for cutting when they started. That would be too sad. Maybe she does not do freezing well. The toes on the other hand should not be hurting her.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."