Not New But Just registered
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not New But Just registered

Rusty's Mom is offline Member

DefaultNot New But Just registered

Hi all. Seems like I've been a member for a long time because I've been reading posts here for more than 12 years already. After Cappy passed earlier this month, Jim has been bugging me to register on my own. I'm not the talker in the family but I may end up posting occasionally. I'll give you my background here so you have a better grip on who I am.

I was born and raised in Honolulu, HI in 1947. My father was US Army and served two post-WW2 tours in Japan. I was fortunate enough to be able to live there off base with my mom and brother which provided us with a cultural understanding of that country and its people. I am Japanese-American. I attended public schools in Hawaii after returning at age 10. Graduated from University of Hawaii and met Jim in 1977 when he started a business in Honolulu. We were married 12 years later in 1989, and Jim sold the business and we retired to the mainland in 1991. My father passed away in 1989 shortly after Jim and I were married and he was gracious enough to accept my mother and adopted-at-birth daughter into his life and home ever since.

In my earlier adult years I had poodles as did my Mom. I love the breed and always hoped to have another once my daughter was old enough to be responsible for one. However, when Jim introduced me to his world including hunting and "dawgs", I soon realized that the likelihood of another poodle in my life was next to none. I became hooked on hunting with dawgs and have done so since 1988 in Kona with Jim and his German Shorthaired Pointer. Cappy, our first Lab, was born in 1999 and joined our family in late February. Jim converted me from an "upland hunter" to a duck hunter. I had developed a bad knee that prevented me from walking for hours as I used to be able to do. Duck hunting is more of sitting in a blind and calling the birds in to you. I really enjoy the sport a lot, especially with retrievers that we raised and trained on our own. It was such an enjoyment and involvement that we actually formed the Las Vegas Hunting Retriever Club that became dual affiliated AKC and NAHRA. I was an officer and Hunt Test Secretary.

Cappy won my heart to such an extent that we added Remi, our 2nd Lab, in 2004 just before we moved to N TX. As Cappy's health began to deteriorate, Jim said that under normal circumstances he would want to start another pup in training. However, he was 66 and had a few health issues of his own. As fate would have it, we bought a used 2006 4WD Jeep in 2008 from a couple that had a Labradoodle. Jim spent the time there talking Jeeps and hunting, and I spent an hour playing with and falling in love with that dog! It was the best of both worlds in my view. A poodle's intelligence and some of the physical characteristics, and the traits of a yellow Lab that, of course, are unbeatable. It didn't take much "convincing" for me to talk Jim into looking. It did take almost a year to find a breeder who was entirely scupulous in the selection and breeding of "Doodles", both from hunting stock and with verifiable pedigrees for several generations. Rusty's parents met that requirement and ironically, we picked him up the very day after Cappy had plug biopsies done that confirmed the cancer we had suspected.

Rusty was fortunate to have Cappy for the next 26 months after he joined us. Cappy was patient, gentle and absolutely wonderful with Rusty. Remi was too and the two of them are best buds. I know that there are some here that don't think much of the "mutts" like our Rusty. And truthfully, some of the comments made about him were hurtful and caused me to stop even looking at posts here after that. Jim prevailed upon me with his usual logic that "they are all entitled to their opinions and to even express them as long as they aren't intentionally mean spirited."

After seeing the response and kindness shown by the Forum in general and many of you individually involving our loss of Cappy, I felt that the best way to really say thanks was to go ahead and register (even if 12 years delinquent) and become a JL member on my own. But I still want to say thank you again for your gifts and kind expressions of sympathy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rusty's Mom is offline Member

Apparently I'm too new to add an avatar but this is the pic I'll use. My two children!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It is great that you finally have your own ID with JL. Now you have to start working on your Mom!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Welcome - I love reading Jim's stories and seeing all the pictures - hopefully now that means we'll get to see twice as many pictures of the family

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Welcome!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Welcome Carol! Good to see you here.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome Carol!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! I haven't been here very long but the Cappy, Remi and Rusty stories and pictures have always been some of my favorites!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Mazie's Mom is offline Senior Member

Welcome Carol! I have loved Cappy's adventures and also Remi and Rusty... I am glad you are here along with Jim and will look forward to pics and stories of your hunting and livin the life in Texas... again welcome aboard!! Kate and Mazie...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast