My first Lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Lab

elmatt is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy first Lab

Two months ago I adopted a chocolate lab from the humane society. I named her Angel and she is now 15 months old. She has a ton of energy and is an absolute joy! I wonder if any of you can see another breed in her other than lab. My vet seems to think that she is all lab but I'm curious because she smaller and not as "boxy or husky" as most of the labs I've seen. She weighs about 57 pounds. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome!! from those pics she looks all lab. She is more than likely from the field line. This link will explain it all. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/english-american.htm
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! If she isn't all lab she is pretty close. And since you love her what does it matter? She is a cutie and it is wonderful that you adopted her! Good luck with your pretty girl!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

She looks like labby to me. She resembles our Sophie. Field Labs are sleeker and look different than the bench bred labs. Welcome to the forum!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Thanks everyone! On my way to the vet today. When we got back from our jog last night she plopped down in the living room and started licking her from from right paw. I think the asphalt and concrete might be hurting her. I didn't see any dripping blood or swelling but her paw is a little red. Has anyone had experience with this?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by elmatt View Post
    Thanks everyone! On my way to the vet today. When we got back from our jog last night she plopped down in the living room and started licking her from from right paw. I think the asphalt and concrete might be hurting her. I didn't see any dripping blood or swelling but her paw is a little red. Has anyone had experience with this?

she's abit young to take running on concrete. And yes, it can very well have caused the bleeding. Can you run somewhere where she can stay on the grass or dirt? Yes, pavement is very very hard and unforgiving ground for a dog to run on (we humans wear shoes to pad the impact) You may also want to read on forced exercise - she is getting old enough where it won't be quite a big issue but I would still be careful about the surface she runs on
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I don't know what your temps are, how much direct sun on the blacktop. HK burned the pads on her paws last year. It is quite painful for them. Since I learned that, I restrict her to unpaved surfaces during the summer.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Ok, I took her to the vet today and of course when we got there everything looked fine and the redness wore off... he thought she may have gotten bitten by something or stepped on something to irritate it. So, I took her out when we got home and noticed that she eventually started to limp a bit again. So, I came straight home and sure enough the paws were red again. The vet says her paws seem healthy and tough and that the 1-2 miles, twice a day that we generally do is not too much but I guess the pavement does bother her.

Any suggestions to help her burn off some energy. We play fetch in the backyard and she gets excited about that for about 5 minutes but then wants me to chase her....often after she is holding something that I don't want her to have Incidentally, she will play this game all day but I can't. I've tried taking her to the off leash dog park but she watches the other dogs and explores more than she will play. If another dog tries to engage her she runs away. My friend has a 10yr. Lab and there is a 1 year old Golden in her obedience class... and those are the only two dogs she will "actively" play with.

Walks are OK and she enjoys them but she seems to have just as much energy when we get back home as when we left. I do have a backyard with grass and dirt and we play out there but it takes her about 5 seconds to run from side to side... it's small. Maybe I'll just rest her for a few days and see if the redness persist after gentle walks.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it can take a few trips to the dog park for a dog to "get it". If you have friends with dogs maybe set up play dates, lots of dogs go better with 1 on 1 (or just fewer) dogs to play with. It takes time for dogs to learn to play. Some never care to, others come around pretty quickly. Some of my fosters have been nearly afraid at the park (not so much that I took them out) and barely played the first few visits so we kept them short. But within a week or so of daily short visits they were playing.

Lots of walks, do lots of brain work - training and brain games.

Try fetching with different toys. Try hide and seek in the yard.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast