Hello

Thread: Hello

Lexismom is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello

Hello my family just adopted a female black lab. Her name is Lexi. She is super smart but very hyper which I expected with the breed. My only complaint is jumping. She jumps ALL THE TIME! I have a two yr old she knocks down. She doesn't mean any harm but it still hurts. Any advice on how to teach her motto do this anymore???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would introduce your 2 yr old at times when Lexi is calm. How old is Lexi? We stopped the jumping by leashing our Sophie. We also make her sit when someone new came to the door. You need to teach sit and stay first. Then, once she's leashed, you can control her jumping by cinching up on the leash and making her sit. Labs are smart, she'll get it pretty fast.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Lexi is 6 months old. She knows how to sit and we are working on stay. She is a very smart girl and really protective of all of us. We love her to death. She is just so sweet and really the only complaint is the jumping. She is completely housebroken and everything. I have never had a dog this big. In fact we were looking for a good family dog and I heard labs were supposed to be the best with families and we found Lexi. A week and a half ago I had to have my beloved dog put to sleep. I had him for 11 yrs. It was a very difficult decision and I miss him so much. I didn't think I would want another dog for a long time but my heart was aching for a dog to love on again so I started searching. Lexi has really helped a great deal with my grief. I'm so happy to have her. I knew going into it that labs are hyper and get into stuff and tear things up but I felt it was more important to get a dog full of character who is going to be great with kids and she is that. She is very gentle with my girls other than the jumping.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sorry about your loss....losing a pet is so very hard. It is odd how another dog can fill the emptiness and sadness from losing another. Congrats on your girl. I will say labs are amazing and so full of life. You will want to give lexi plenty of exercise that may help tire her out enough so that you can work on commands with out her being so hyper. I have a 2 yr old that gets excited easily especially around people that come to visit and that encourage her by saying ohhhh she is just happy to see me......we'll in my house not accaptable so I make her sit until she looks at me and is calmer then I say ok...easy. I have done this since I got her. My 11 week old is being made to sit as well. Some people that come here think its mean what I do but it is just good manners in my book. Does she jump all the time like during play time?

~Reahven & Drake~
    Never knew how much fun a lab would be until I owned one. Can't imagine my life without them.

Thank you. Losing my other dog has been really hard but Lexi keeps me busy. We have been taking her on 2 walks a day and it helps calm her down. She jumps up on us excitedly in the mornings and during play time and also when we come home and let her out of her crate.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

When you let her out of the crate, leash her and bring her out. Once she is calm then take the lead off. Chose a command like "easy" to teach as you take the lead off.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new girl.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."