Kia Ora from New Zealand

Thread: Kia Ora from New Zealand

anji is offline Junior Member

CoolKia Ora from New Zealand

Hi Everyone,
    I haven't yet gotten my new Lab but am hoping to find the right one by Easter time. I want to adopt a Black or Choc Lab. I am doing all of the reading up on training etc and am so excited..feels like a "What to expect when you are expecting" moment haha. I can't wait to have a dog again...it has been many years.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on training or selection processes that I could consider? I have had black Lab's in the past but have always wanted a choc...are there any differences I should be aware of? I haven't yet decided whether to get a male or female but I know that whatever it may be I am wanting a true companion to camoflage my single life.
    I want to be as prepared as possible to make sure my home is ready for a new addition and the joy that is about the come from having a true mate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

There are many thread on here about finding a good breeder. Do a search and you'll see. Welcome to the forum! I remember how excited we were before we got Sophie back in June! I am surprized you can wait till Easter!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

anji is offline Junior Member

Thank you I can't really wait till Easter, but I have a tendency to rush into things and I want to make sure I take my time with this and am fully prepared. Sounds very adult of me huh. I don't imagine it will be that far away but I needed to give myself a timeline.
    Sophie is just beautiful!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Do you work? You need to think about your puppy being left for the hours you are at work. You need to have a plan. Puppies can't be left crated 8 hours. You'll need daycare, or a sitter, or someone to come and take it out for potty breaks. It is something to think about.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

deidra is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by anji View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have had black Lab's in the past but have always wanted a choc...are there any differences I should be aware of?
    There is no difference between a Choclate and a black lab excpet Color.But individuail labs yes. If you want to adopt a lab then go to a breeder make sure you find a dog that fits YOU! If you are active and like to do a lot of outdoor things(hiking ,swimming) then I would get a dog that is a bit more active but if you like to just chill at home and not much of a hiker then get a more laid back dog.(just keep in mind all labs need exercise or they will destroy your house ) If youhave friends with dogs that come over make sure he/she is dog friendly people friendly.

If you are going the breeder route tell the breeder what you are looking for in a dog and they will match the puppy to you since they know the puppy best.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

morla is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!
    SIMON

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Getting a new dog is very exciting and the path you take will have a lot to do with the age of the dog that you get. Good luck with the shopping and come back with photos when you pick up that pup/dog that will fill in the holes in your life.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're doing all the rights things before adopting a lab. They can require a lot of work & dedication - your life will revolve around your dog's schedule (mine does anyway), but they are so worth it in the end. Nothing can beat the sight of their tails wagging non-stop just because you walked through the door or when they curl up on your lap when you're watching TV. I don't think I will ever be without a labrador in my life.