Hi NH lab owners. Soon to be lab owner looking for help!

Thread: Hi NH lab owners. Soon to be lab owner looking for help!

owenroyal is offline Junior Member

DefaultHi NH lab owners. Soon to be lab owner looking for help!

Please help!!

My family used to have labs growing up in WNY and now that I'm out of college and on my own I'm looking to get a lab. I miss the companionship and having someone to play with when I get home from work. I now live in Newport, NH and have been trying to find some local breeders. I found this site Labrador Retriever Puppies For Sale Yellow Labrador Retriever Puppies For Sale New Hampshire NH but don't know much about them. As anyone had any luck with them or know of any other breeders in the area? Also, my parents were always in charge of getting our dogs and they gave me some advice but what all should I consider when getting a new lab pup? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

labs come in three colours, chocolate, black and yellow - if you see the word "silver" keep looking! the labrador club of america, which dictates the standard for the break of the AKC, has the following statement on "silver labs"
    Silver - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

A breeder should clear both parents of all the health issues that plague labs. These tests are not done at a regular vet visit, but specific tests to be done. Hips, elbows, heart, eyes need to be cleared and the dog needs to be tested for EIC and CMN. THe breeder should also "do" something with their dogs like compete in conformation, field or hunt.

Have you considered a rescue dog? It is considerably less expensive than going with a good breeder (reputable). Rescues usually foster the dogs in home settings and can give you lots of information on the dog. Pounds and shelters are great too. You can get some great looking labs at any of these places.

Remember that puppies cannot hold it in all day while you are at work. If you cannot get home during the day to let them potty, then you need someone to do it for you (friend or family or neighbour or dog walker).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Myia's Love is offline Junior Member

What great advice!!
    My dog is a rescue, actually I found her and after 3 weeks of trying to help her find her home, the former owner called me and told me she moved out of the city and did not want her. I was shocked!! I had never owned a dog before, but she had now fit in with me and my 3 old cats so well, that I decided to keep her. From her tattoo, I was told that all vaccines were up to date, her name, that she was a spayed Lab cross, born April 8 2009.
    So we have now shared over 2 years together. She comes to work with me everyday. I say "If I rescued her, she rescued me right back". She is so smart, she loves practising new tricks with me, and with everyone at the office. Dog walks breaks are healthy for us all.

This past October I took in a 1 year old Border Collie and her 8 puppies. Just 5 days old. So October, November and December was extremely busy. Can you imagine, 12 animals in my house ha!. Well by Dec 23rd, all had forever homes and my fostering was done. I had grown attached to the mom and the last 3 pups, it was hard to say goodbye. But I feel so good for lending my home while they were in need. Those Border Collies are so smart. At 2 months of age they would sit nice for their supper.

I think your advice to look for a rescue shows your caring nature and intelligence. I hope Owen takes your advice and keeps us informed on how his hunt is going. Good Luck Owen !!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Hey...I'm in MA, so we're kind of neighbors!! lol
    One of the best around this area:

Minefalls Labradors-labrador retriever breeder

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myia's Love View Post
    What great advice!!
    My dog is a rescue, actually I found her and after 3 weeks of trying to help her find her home, the former owner called me and told me she moved out of the city and did not want her. I was shocked!! I had never owned a dog before, but she had now fit in with me and my 3 old cats so well, that I decided to keep her. From her tattoo, I was told that all vaccines were up to date, her name, that she was a spayed Lab cross, born April 8 2009.
    So we have now shared over 2 years together. She comes to work with me everyday. I say "If I rescued her, she rescued me right back". She is so smart, she loves practising new tricks with me, and with everyone at the office. Dog walks breaks are healthy for us all.

This past October I took in a 1 year old Border Collie and her 8 puppies. Just 5 days old. So October, November and December was extremely busy. Can you imagine, 12 animals in my house ha!. Well by Dec 23rd, all had forever homes and my fostering was done. I had grown attached to the mom and the last 3 pups, it was hard to say goodbye. But I feel so good for lending my home while they were in need. Those Border Collies are so smart. At 2 months of age they would sit nice for their supper.

I think your advice to look for a rescue shows your caring nature and intelligence. I hope Owen takes your advice and keeps us informed on how his hunt is going. Good Luck Owen !!
    They tattoo dogs here in the US when they are spayed. They don't tattoo vaccine info on the dog. Are you sure the immunization information is on a tattoo? I think I would double check, just to be safe. Do you know the name of the vet the former owner used?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

This link might help you. Find a Breeder - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

morla is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!
    SIMON

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Good Luck with the pup hunt. I know that a pup/dog is great for all of us but I hope there will be something in it for the pup/dog during the day.... Most work days are pretty long and lonely for a dog. They can get themselves in a lot of trouble when they are alone that long. I am lucky in that my husband is home with Jack all day. Enjoy the forum.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."