Stop 18month old lab barking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop 18month old lab barking

rosscounty is offline Junior Member

DefaultStop 18month old lab barking

Hello, I'm new on here and would like advice from someone please! My 18month old lab will not stop barking at people when he is in the garden and they pass our house - how do I get him to stop??
    Also I was thinking in getting a dog separator for the boot of our ford mondeo so dog can go in one side and buggy can go in the other and not get too dirty - any recommendations??
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

morla is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!
    SIMON

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

No suggestions...dogs bark....that's what they do. If he was in your house barking it would be one thing, but outside it is different. I don't understand why you don't want him barking outside.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Personally, I don't let Dio bark outside. It's annoying to the neighbors and to myself! What I did to get Dio not to bark outside was, when he barked I went out and told him no bark. If he did it again, I said the same command but did a "bite" on his neck. A third time he was brought inside. He's not much of a barker naturally though, so it may have been a lot of luck, too! He's allowed to bark if someone comes to the gate or to the front door. Other than that, nu uh.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Sophie enjoys using her big-dog-voice outside. She's not a barker that goes on and on and on...so I never worried about it. Plus, she's not outside late when people are sleeping. She just likes to hear the sound of her own voice, I think
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Jack gets quite worked up when the meter reader comes to the house. Other then that he does not bark. When he started barking when people went down the back alley we told him ....... NO. He got the point. The neighbour has 2 dashshunds and they bark steady. The daughters lab cross joins in but Jack never pays any attention. I think that you need to do it early and be consistant. Of course that is if you are home. The neighbours dogs only bark when she is away. They sit on the back of the couch and the minute we are in the yard they start barking. I want to choke them..... eeek.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

deidra is offline Senior Member

I allow my dogs to bark outside but while in the house I taught the word Quit. The other word is Shut up but my dad doesn't say it as nicely,lol. Most my neighbors I don't like so i even encourage the dogs to bark outside. Long story short since I have the last name that i do and I'm not rich they hate me to. Not all of them but most of them(Sad part is somehow I'm related to them). I just feel safer with letting people know I do have "big dogs" in the house.(there are a few registered sex offenders in town and I walk everyday and babysit a lot)

To teach quit or shut up. I would say Quit and when they were quit they got a treat. Or my dads shut the **** up they got a treat.

rosscounty is offline Junior Member

Thanks guys. Do any of you have another breed of dog as well as a lab? We were thinking in getting a patterdale terrier next spring. Obviously having two dogs is more work but a lot of people are saying 'well if you have one you might as well have two'. I dont think our lab would have a problem accepting another dog at all.Our house is fairly small so that's part the reason we would get a smaller dog, although we have a big garden. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rosscounty View Post
    Thanks guys. Do any of you have another breed of dog as well as a lab? We were thinking in getting a patterdale terrier next spring. Obviously having two dogs is more work but a lot of people are saying 'well if you have one you might as well have two'. I dont think our lab would have a problem accepting another dog at all.Our house is fairly small so that's part the reason we would get a smaller dog, although we have a big garden. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    i have a small house with two large dogs ! Labs rule in case you didn't know !

We have a 15 yr old toy poodle. We lost our 12 yr old fox red in May. The two always got along fine. The poodle bossed the big girl around, and does with Sophie too. The poodle is much more stubborn and problematic than the labs. She is uppity, bossy and picky! We also have 2 cats, and did have a rabbit until in died last summer. He didn't know he was a rabbit. he thought he was a cat. He'd play with the cats and chase string like a cat!
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast