Hello and woofies from my "Furbs"

Thread: Hello and woofies from my "Furbs"

bunnypaws is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello and woofies from my "Furbs"

Wanted to stop by and say hello and introduce myself,Mindi is my real name,and my Furbs.I have 3 poochies,the queen and ruler is Lilo,my 4 lb Chihuahua,Beau,middle child who technically is my mom's Fox Terrier,and Shadow,my biggest baby and pup of the group...probably a easy guess to figure he's a black lab. They are also known as child size fry,regular size fry and super size fry...without the salt and calories! Shaddy is in my piccy.

Shadow was a gift from my boyfriend,he's the first lab I have ever owned,and also the biggest pooch at 83 lbs...quite a diff from the usual 35 pounders lol.I've had him 9 months now,he's been a joy,and a challenge too.I sure wouldnt change a thing..cept maybe catch him sooner when he tore up flowers..bed...and a few other things that totally peeved granny.oops..hehe.He's gonna be 2 in May.I've been told he wont actually mature for another year or 2.

In the last month,I've discovered my precious Shadow has epilepsy.He went to the vet the other day for blood work,he was healthy otherwise,thankfully.So I have been trying to research it.Vet doesnt want to medicate him yet.He's had 4,one I think was stress induced since it happened on the day he came back from the vet.He had to stay 4 hours and was not a happy puppy.Its scary to see and know I cant do anything for my beloved friend.i have been going over everything-things he ate,toys,etc to try and figure out why he has them with no answers aside as the vet said,being a true epileptic.

Well anyhoo,my son is grown,so my Furbs are my kids now,and I adore them,and would do anything to keep them safe and healthy. =) And spoiled too..they have their own FB page..lolol!
    ~Love me,love my dogs~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Why didn't the vet want to give him meds to prevent seizure? I have seen other forum members that have dogs with epilepsy, so hopefully they will have some help for you.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think he was wanting to figure out if it was a once or twice episode before putting him on meds.He stressed to me its very life altering so he wanted to be sure.He told me some dogs have seizures once or twice a month and no meds are given,which has me scratching my head.So I've been reading up on it on my own so I can be better informed t his next appt. =) I'd like to say and not so scared,but that would be a stretch.
    Thank you Tammy!
    ~Love me,love my dogs~

morla is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!
    SIMON

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum. There is always something new to read here. Sorry about the epilepsy. I am sure if it is serious they will have medication. I too have it and I take medication. If I am good and take it regularly.... no problem. I had an english bulldog that had seizures. I took her to the vet but he said it was because of the shape of her head. It was normal for a bulldog. ???? Nothing was ever done about it and she lived a normal life expectancy. We too are empty nesters that are really enjoying our black boy.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Thank you all for the warm welcomes =) Shadow had another seizure at 2:30 am,they seem to hit him late like that,poor boy.The good thing was he didnt fall out of bed,and it seemed to go faster,I was petting him,and talking to him,I am hoping that helps.I also couldnt get to a light,so we rode it out in the dark.Mighta been good for me too,its so hard to see and not think he's in pain.His confused time was less too,tho he keeps wanting to go to a corner.I kept the telly off too.I just wish I could pad the rooms,poor thing is so clumsy afterwards.
    My boyfriend thinks it could be that he's still a puppy,and growing.And hopefully will outgrow them.I've got my fingers crossed,but wont hold my breath.I've never had a Lab,or any other dog that got over 35 lbs,so finding out they are still pups for 2+ years was an interesting learn.He's also my first special needs baby,so he's been an education for me in more ways than one.=)
    I hadnt heard of bulldogs being seizure prone.Funny what you learn! I've been reading that epileptic folks dont remember the actual episode,but are really tired and sore afterwards.Wish there was a food that would just stop em all together! But I am seeing so many fur parents living with their baby's epilepsy etc,that I know I can do it too!
    ~Love me,love my dogs~

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

I do not know if her seizures were epileptic. The vet never said but they eventually stopped happening and I forgot about them till your thread.
    I think if this problem persists you should be able to have a medication for him. Did the vet suggest such a thing.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."