Just Labradors banner

new member in los angeles

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Campfire_Dog 
#1 ·
hello everyone. first time lab owner i have a 9 week old puppy i named her stella

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you for the warm welcome. i have been enjoying the forum for about 2 weeks now. i just got the nerve to get in it. everyone has such good advice. so far puppy is great i have had her for a week and she already know to go in the training pad. well most of the time, there is still some accidents

#5 ·
the training pads won't work for long, she will chew them up all over the house! I never used newspaper either. I didn't want Sophie to think it was ok to ever go in the house. She was easy to train, and hasn't had an accident in 3 months.... :)

#6 ·
your right about the training pads. but its just till she gets her next shots on the 29th. then ill start taking her out. i have a chihuahua i did the same but she didnt catch on as quickly. oh and thanks for the welcome citronella

#11 ·
As long as you are taking her to a yard where you know no other dogs have been it should be fine. Just don't leave her alone. She'll put everything in her mouth. I would take her out to the same spot each time, tell her to go potty or whatever term you use, and praise her when she goes. It might be more difficult to train her to go outside when you allowed her to go inside on paper.We started taking Sophie out at 8 weeks. She had been outside some at our breeders, I have pictures of Sophie at 5 weeks sitting among flowers, and at 6 weeks bossing their cat! Isn't she due for another shot now? What age did the breeder giver her first one?

#12 ·
I agree, I would never want them to go inside. However this is not the best time of the year to start a puppy. We are out a lot more in the summer and the need is not the same. I second the warning about making sure there is nothing for them to eat. Honestly they will put everything in their mouth and the chance of choking or damage to the internal track is great. And expensive. They need a crate for when they are alone for quite some time. I have seen photos of xrays of them having knives in their insides. Good Luck. It takes dedication to get them through the early stages but they are worth it.
Judy and Jack

#13 ·
pup was about 5 1/2 weeks when she got her first shots. shes had her second at 8 weeks. that was at the breeders vet about one hour away from my house. i took her to a vet by my house and he said her next shots are on the 29th he does things different than the other vet he said the other vet started too early. what do you guys think? and i do have a crate for her and also a play pen. my mom lives with me and she is home most of the time. i work really early and get out early so by the time my mom leaves the house and starts her day stella is only alone for about one hour. also my girlfriend leaves about 45 min. after i do and she makes sure stella is good before she leaves

#21 ·
Stella is a very lucky little girl to have someone with her most of the time. I never left toys with Jack when he was alone at all. Definitely pick the spot you want her to go to and she will always use it. I hate surprises.
Judy and Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.