Greetings all

Thread: Greetings all

JFP
    JFP is offline Junior Member

DefaultGreetings all

Hi, we're Jill, Joseph and Wind Talker aka Tucker...from St Augustine..

Tucker is our third lab. The most different lab we've every had! We sort of rescued him...he was bed by a hunting lab breeder but Tucker must be a pacifist...hunting is not in his blood or maybe just loud sounds! He's incredibly shy, at times, very skittish. We think this stems from his training.

He's come a long way since we've had him -2- years. But he's still skittish with loud noises.

We were wondering if anyone might have or had a similar lab?

Thanks..

J

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We lost our 12 yr old Maggie in May. She was no hunting dog! She was scared to death of guns, and even fireworks! She would hide every 4th of July! Even thunder would send her under the computer desk and make her shake. I am not kidding when I say that when the kids would get out of the car with a bag of fireworks, she could smell the gun powder, she would hide before they got in the house! She never outgrew it, she would hide if someone even walked through the house with a rifle. She never outgrew it. We didn't mind, and would love on her and try to comfort her, especially during a thunder storm. She was our heart dog. She died suddenly of an abdominal aneurysm. It broke our hearts. We got Sophie in June, and having her has helped tremendously. I seriously doubt your Tucker will get over his fear of loud, gun-like noises, our girl never did.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Some dogs just dont take to the noises etc, so just enjoy him for what he is. MILs dog is terrified of loud noises, fireworks etc, but is not worried about guns, oddly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

How old was he when you rescued him? Do you know his history? He may have been exposed to something that frightened him. They do not forget a strong feeling. We adopted our last lab and we believe that he was abused by a tean age boy. He was scared to death of loud noises and thunder. We have gone out of our way to keep Jack calm in storms. We actually celebrate thunder storms and now at 3 1/2 he is still very calm during storms. I hope that you did not get him for hunting. Enjoy Tucker.
    Judy
    Last edited by Campfire_Dog; 10-23-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: wording

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! My dog Tank is TERRIFIED of loud noiss. My nieghbors were letting fireworks off and he was out in his pen well he jumped his pena dn was missing for 3 days!!! luckily he showed up at my uncles house(3-4 miles away) and his daughter brough him back home. bentley si okish now around gun fire or anything but he tries to eat/attack firecrackers so he is not allowed to go anywhere with us if they are letting firecrackers off. I was targeting practicing at my uncles friday night and bentley just waited in the truck and watched. When i first got him he would get as low as possible but after slwoly intriducing him to new things/sounsd he got better.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.