New to the world of labradors!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the world of labradors!

Marley2011 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew to the world of labradors!

Hi all!!

Im about to embark on a new adventure as i am picking up my new labrador puppy next month! any tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

Welcome to JL.... Patience and consistancy!!!! Puppy have a very small intention span so try a few minutes of training a couple times a day. When the pup has all it's shots look for puppy kindergarden. Have lots of toys and give him/her lots of love.
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Make sure you're well rested.
    Charge your camera.
    Get a big bottle of wine.
    Be patient.
    Wnjoy the ride!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome (depending on your situation - maybe research what to look for in a breeder, they should do all teh appropriate health clearances for hips, elbows, eyes, heart, pra, cmn which are major health issues that are very very common in the labrador breed - on BOTH parents, as well as show/compete with their dogs in some venue)

catch up on sleep now, get a crate and nature's miracle. Read up in the training section about the major (common) issues with lab puppies (nipping/biting, jumping, exercise requirements, socialization, etc).

Have a plan in place if everyone works full time (puppies cannot hold it in for an entire workday, so if no one is home or able to let the puppy outside mid-day for a bathroom break you may need a dog walker or something along those lines)

And puppies should stay with their mom/siblings until 8 weeks of age - in fact it is illegal in some states to sell a puppy earlier than that.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

hi thanks for the advice, im really glad i came across this website iv found out loads of info! i carnt wait to pick him up next month.

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

I agree with the crate. Don't leave him all the time but a few hours a day will make you and your new buddy better friends. Labs like to chew and they don't know the value of things. I am excited for you. We have enjoyed Jack immensely.

superwy is offline Member

I loved the book [I]How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With.[I] Really helpful for us. In fact, I can't seem to find it for the new puppy coming in six weeks and might have to pick up another copy. We like to wet washcloths and freeze them for chewing when teeth hurt. Bitter Apple is your friend! A comfy place on the floor to be with your pup in the evenings. Watch him like a hawk outside and inside. I can't tell you the things that Wyatt at when we looked away (rocks, my daughter's little socks, crayons...you name it). Have fun. There is nothing like a lab. Except maybe two!
    Kim

Wyatt & Echo

citronella is offline Senior Member

Hi, Welcome, I'll be a new owner soon too. Get to pick her up on the 7th and I'm so excited. My husband says I'm replacing the 4 kids that left lol.

Wish you a lot of joy with your new puppy.
    A Kong is a great toy to occupy them for short periods and for chewing. Put in some small treats and peanut butter.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have never enjoyed anything as much as I have enjoyed Sophie since we got her on June 3rd! We are retired and get to be with her all the time. She makes us laugh and warms our heart! She has so much energy! You will enjoy your new baby, I am sure! The main thing is they have needle sharp teeth when they are babies and their favorite thing to chew is you! I had torn up arms and hands till she was about 3 months. We just kept placing a hand on her muzzle and saying Dont Bite! She learned it pretty fast, really. Sophie's favorite toy is a Dogzilla octopus looking red toy with a squeeky ball in it. She loves that thing, plus its one of the few toys she hasn't destroyed in the first 5 minutes!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

id like to say a huge thankyou to you all for the advice, iv bought lots of toys and chews and invested in some good books so im all ready now for my little puppy! iv just 2 weeks to go till i can pick him up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast