Long time Lab mom, new to this site!

Thread: Long time Lab mom, new to this site!

Dixie'sMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultLong time Lab mom, new to this site!

Hey everyone!

My name is Kristina. I am 31 and I live in Ft Wright, Ky with my husband Aj and our two dogs and cat. We lost our beloved 10 year old Black Lab Dixie on June 30th. I noticed something wrong with her on a Friday, and by the following Thursday we had to make the decision to put her down. Her health failed so quickly. She was a diabetic with arthritis and thyroid issues. She had an xray and blood work four days before she passed, and there was a huge mass in her chest/abdomen that was pushing all of her organs out of their proper place. The vertebrae in her spine had also fused together. She didn't make it long enough for us to find out if she actually had cancer or not. I miss my girl so much that it physically hurts. I had 10 fantastic years with her, but to me it just wasn't long enough.

We rescued a new puppy two and a half weeks ago. I swore up and down that I wouldn't get another black Lab, I wanted a chocolate one. Sometimes things end up differently than planned because we definitely ended up with another black girl. Lily is 11 weeks old, and I think she had a pretty rough start to life. She is now thriving in her new home with us and her non labbie sister Macy (a 9 year old dachshund/corgi mix).

I am a student majoring in History. My goal is to get my Masters in Public History and go into the Historic Preservation field. I also enjoy camping and traveling, and hanging out with my husband.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to getting to know all of you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. I find it helpful and interesting, and we all enjoy each others pictures. I am so sorry about your girl Dixie. We lost our 12 yr old Maggiemay on May 17th. I still miss her terribly. She died suddenly of an abdominal aneurysm. I didn't think I could love another dog as much as our sweet maggie. We decided to get a puppy and brought Sophie home in June. She was 8 weeks. She has helped us so much with our grief. I know Lily will help you too. I sometimes think I'll never be over losing Maggiemay, but Sophie helps us all to cope. She is funny and special and so very loving! She is a chocolate, and is now 4 1/2 months and 42 lbs. I am looking forward to pictures of Lily.. Pam

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Sorry for your loss. Thank you for rescuing your new "baby" We love pictures on here.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

welcome ...........we are fairly close to you .......live in the Bethel/felicity area of ohio.................we are owned by 3 labs and a 6 month old lab/pointer mix and 2 cats .............

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! Please post pictures of all your dogs, past and present!!! You will learn that on this forum, there can never be enough pictures .

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Thanks so much everyone! I have added a picture of Dixie and Macy to my signature. Hopefully it works. I was messing with it and resizing and finally got irritated and just stuck it in there. I miss my girl. She is the first big loss that I have ever experienced. Every time I try to come here to post or read the baby starts getting crazy and wants to play. Right now she is passed out so I finally have a few minutes to myself. She really is a good puppy, although I am so sleep deprived I honestly don't know what I am saying right now. Thanks for welcoming me, and I definitely won't disappoint when it comes to pictures. When I can have a moment to myself that is!

Dixie 3/19/2001-6/30/2011
    Macy 1/2002
    Lily 6/14/2011

I also finally come bearing pictures! Here is Lily. She is 3 months old today!

And this is my beloved Dixie

And here is our Macy

Dixie 3/19/2001-6/30/2011
    Macy 1/2002
    Lily 6/14/2011