hello!!

Thread: hello!!

becndan is offline Junior Member

Defaulthello!!

My name is Becky. Our labs name is Bradford he is 6 months old and he his hillarous to watch. I have always had dogs but never a full blooded lab. The energy they have is crazy. He has never really swam to far out in the water until yesterday and he was in the middle of the lake for over 10 minutes and there was nothing I was going to do to get him back. I am not experienced with a hunting dog and need help on how to get him to come when called. He is not going to be a hunting dog however I do not want him to miss out on what he was breed to do. What water exercises can I do with him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Welcome and google dock dogs !

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I think laying and looking at you with those beautiful eyes with an expression of "nah, I'm not coming" is what labs do best! Sophie is a pain about it. She will often come if she's in the yard, poke her head in the door, like whatcha want mama? But then heads back out without coming to me. She will take off if she gets a chance into the neighbor's yard, and just look at us when we call! So if you come up with a foolproof way to get them to come, let me know! LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! I was having the same problem with Bentley a month or so ago. I just started with a little leash (6ft). Then I would put him ina sit and wait. Then once I got to the end of the leash I said come. When he came I praised him like crazy. Then I kept stepping furthre and further away. Now he listens and most of the time comes when called.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.