Newbie here

Thread: Newbie here

Ladybug Guest

DefaultNewbie here

Hello all. Glad I found this forum. I have a female black lab mix, age estimated to be around 8 months. She came to me at the end of May. My business partner found her in a ditch out in the middle of nowhere, she was starving and in bad shape. Not anymore! Considering her rough start in life she is doing well. Had some hot spots and demodex. Poor thing had demodex around her eye. Looks a little funny but I think it just makes her more special. The hair is starting to grow back finally. Anyway, she has been spayed and everything done that needed to be done.

At first she was shy and scared, showed signs of abuse. She adapted quickly to indoor living. After a few weeks she would go outside with Tigger, greyhound mix(my baby) and we didn't have to go with her. She figured out he came and went as he wanted and she could too. No more having to worry about being left outside. At my house everyone sleeps inside, actually everyone sleeps in my bed.

She is 51lbs now, still growing. I guess labs eat like they are starving all the time, or maybe it's because she was starved. I can no longer free feed in the house, she will eat til she is sick. So they both eat 3x a day. Plus snacks.

The only problems we have with her are nipping, okay, sometimes she bites lightly. And she pees in the house once in a while. I think the peeing is my fault, I don't jump out of bed fast enough, she gets up very early and I only have a minute or so to get her outside. I can deal with that, I have a steam cleaner and the training is going better. The nipping has to stop. I seem to be the only person she really minds. Guess I'm the alpha. I can simply put my hand out close to her face to block her and she stops. It also stops other unwanted behavior.

For some reason this does not work with other people. I do crate once in a while if I can't be there to correct her, just in case. I have grandchildren and I can't take chances. Her bites are not aggressive really, she is slowly learning not to play with us the way she plays with Tigger.

I've read labs mature emotionally slower than other breeds. Is this true? And do they all eat so fast? I've always had dogs and take care of dogs for a living. But Ladybug is a bit different. She's family now, and I guess in my house we are all a bit off. lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

When we were teaching Sophie "Don't Bite!" We placed our hand over her muzzle and issued the Don't Bite command in a stern voice. She doesn't do it anymore. Chances are your girl has had no social training, and now she doesn't know she's not supposed to nip. Keep on her, don't let her slide. You have 8 months or so of undesirable behavior to correct. I am so thankful you took her in and made her a member of your family. Our lab doesn't wolf her food down. She will sometimes lay down to eat! Lazy girl! I am told that labs tend to over eat, but I have not had that problem with Sophie. She often doesn't eat all that is in her bowl. Your Ladybug is probably still not sure when she'll get her next meal. Sad...people who abandon animals need a special place in hell..

Ladybug Guest

she just started up with the biting and nipping. tigger did it forever!!!!! mainly to my 21 yr old son. lol. he still barks at him loudly to play. i think the dogs see him as a toy. funny they aren't like that with small children. i've been so lucky in life being able to always free feed, but i don't mind the scheduled feedings now. tigger eats slow, savors his food. ladybug knows she will always eat but i have seen a lot of dogs who were starved that ate this way even after being rescued.

she sits for treats and takes it nicely out of my hand. again, everyone else she just grabs it from. not everyone, just a few people, my friends all know better and make everyone sit.

she is a good dog. drives me crazy, always in the way. lol. she is still curious. it was so sad when we first got her, you could tell she had never been inside, never seen a tv or furniture. i have no idea how long she had been dumped. but her bones were showing through her sagging skin. i agree..there is a special place in hell for people who do that. i have a lot of rescues pass through my house and after all these years i never get over how cruel humans can be. like so many others, ladybug has every right to hate people, but she is so sweet. dogs are forgiving creatures.

luckily both dogs are the types you don't really bathe unless you have too. they hate water. ladybug has only seen rain once since we've had her but didn't seem to mind. she had one bath after she came because she was dirty, she hated it. so i guess wolfing her food down and other quirks are not so bad.

i'm not sure what she is mixed with, she really only looks like a lab. we got her may 20th and she weighed 27 lbs. as of today she is 51 lbs. i don't think she will get much bigger. she is a big 51 lbs though. tigger is only 46 and she looks a lot bigger. but greyhounds are lean and muscular, she is long and bulky.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie is 4 months and 40lbs. She is a lean built lab, but pick her up and she's heavy! It is so sad that poor Ladybug was starved! To double her weight since May shows you how underweight she was. Poor girl. Sophie loves water. She has a kiddie pool with a ball in it in the yard, and loves to play in it. We took her to the beach for the first time on Monday and she enjoyed playing in the surf. She had a ball! She will also take a nose dive in her water bowl, or even dig the water out all over the kitchen! We seem to be the house that ends up with stray cats! We have had three dumped here in the last year or so. We adopted and fixed them. One of them, Carmella, disappeard.We looked and looked for her. She was in the yard, and then was just gone. I was kind of thinking she was carried off by a kid, she was very loving. We still have our Libby and Luigi. We had a rabbit named Mario, but he went of the Rainbow Bridge. Mario thought he was a cat and played like a cat. We have a soft spot for poor abandoned animals like you do.

marmstr is offline Senior Member

Our 6 month old lab eats very fast and acts like she's starving all the time...my brother had two labs (7 and 10 years old) who have always eaten very fast and are always starving (although both obese!).

We put water on Artemis's dry food and drop a large toy (kong or other) on top of the food to slow her down. She now takes a good 5 minutes to eat 1.5 cups of food (down from about 30 seconds)...
    Melissa

Artemis (goddess of the hunt--for anything on the floor!) Feb 2011
    Penny--rescue, died Dec 2010 of Lymphoma at age 7
    Belle--April 1992-Sept 2005