New to the Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

luvmyrescue is offline Member

DefaultNew to the Forum

Hi everyone!

ok, so ive been reading up on this site for about a week now, trying to decide if i should join, and heres why: Ive recently rescued a "silver" lab ( Cringe)

Before the rescue, i had little knowledge about "silvers"..had never seen one..heard they were out there, but didnt know much about them..Ive had labs all my life, all of them rescues, so i admit, i dont know much about whats going on in the breeding world of Labs, having never went to a breeder myself..

When i went to the shelter with another lab in mind, and finding none, besides little Keysi (pronounced KeeSee) something about her had me hooked! The lady at the shelter said she was a Silver Lab, and She was a double rescue. She had been adopted from the same shelter some weeks before and apparently something horrible happened to her owners and they were forced to bring her back to the rescue shelter..My heart broke for this little one and a few days later i brought her home...

And thats when i started the research..and thats when my research brought me here..Having been reading old posts on this site about Silvers, i can honestly say that i agree w most of you about this whole controversy..I had no idea it went this deep!

That being said, when i took Keysi for her first vet check a few days after i brought her home, i was verbally attacked by a lab owner in the Vets office..

I walked in and this lady was sitting there with her Chocolate lab, and when she saw me and Keysi she said " Why dont you just save yourself a ton of money and have her put down while your here...but i guess money is no object to you anyway being that you spent a fortune on that mutt to begin with".. I was so upset but i nicely said to her " Actually, i spent NO money on her..Shes a rescue." at which she replied " You think that makes u any better than the assholes that buy these mutts??? It might make you worse!!"

I was literally in tears when i left the Vets office.. I completely understand the need to not support these breeders of silvers! I love the Lab as much as you all do and its ludicrous what thses breeders are doing..and i thank this forum for having taught me that! However< i dont consider myself a supporter of these breeders because i rescued a "Silver"..Every dog needs a home!! Regardless of who bred them and why..and i will always believe that no matter what..

Keysi so far has been AMAZING! i just love her to pieces!! and i will continue to love her regardless of where she came from..Shes a rescue, who needed a good home..

So, all that being said, i sincerely hope you all dont share the same opinion as that woman in the vets office.. If you do, i wont continue to come here. and ill delete my account. as im sure i wont be welcome..but i hope that wont be the case! i truly enjoy this forum and ive learned so much from all of you.. and i would love to continue to so..

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

people are idiots - - thanks for taking Keysi home!

welcome
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Perhaps that lady was a victim of bad breeding herself?
    Glad you and Keysi found each other - how old is she?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the welcome! The shelter said she will be a year in september..ill post some pics as soon as i get off my blackberry and on to my computer..I took Keysi on her first visit to my moms house upstate..She is LOVING LIFE right now! we played fetch in the lake all day and now shes dozing in the shade!!

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

First of all I would have shut that lady up with my fist!!!

Secondly.... Welcome and I'm glad you have a big heart and adopted Keysi. Wishing you the best of luck.
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Holy crap! I can't believe that woman! I mean, I get upset at people too when I hear how "their silver is better than my Dio because their's is normal size and mine is giant", but hell, you don't go off on someone unprovoked! Thank you so much for rescuing, who cares what colour or breed the dog is?
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

THANK YOU!!!! Exactly what i HOPED you would all say!!! Thanks for making me feel welcome!! After talking to that bitch at the vet, i was a little worried!! lol

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am afraid I wouldn't have left the vets crying, I would have told her butt off! Small minded people! It was not all that long ago that chocolates were considered an non-breed. Chocolates have a narrower breed line because ignorant breeders "did away" with choc puppies when they were born. I believe it wasn't till the 1970's that they were recognized as an AKC breed. You could have told that stupid woman if it had been 50 yrs ago she would have been condemned for her chocolate. Anyway, kudos to you for adopting her!

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrescue View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! The shelter said she will be a year in september..ill post some pics as soon as i get off my blackberry and on to my computer..I took Keysi on her first visit to my moms house upstate..She is LOVING LIFE right now! we played fetch in the lake all day and now shes dozing in the shade!!
    Sounds like a great day! Definitely post pics!!

lisa is offline Senior Member

First of all...thanks for saving this sweet girl. Some people are just plain stupid and rude...she was both. She should have never gone off on you like that. Don't let it upset you...you did a wonderful thing by giving this girl a home....no matter what color she is. Can't wait to see pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast