My new doggy daughter "Murphy"

Thread: My new doggy daughter "Murphy"

Canucks08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy new doggy daughter "Murphy"

Hi everyone!

I just picked up my new gir Murphy yesterday. She's 8 weeks, and the sweetest thing ever! She slept the whole car ride home (two and a half hours). We played a little bit when we got home then it was time for bed. I think she had a big day, what with being taken from her family, and being introduced to me and my house, cause she didn't take to the crate very well. I have it set up in my bedroom with a blanket covering the outside, but after a couple minutes in there she whined and cried. Til I caved... I let her sleep with me in bed, which I didnt want to do. She did however sleep a full eight hours before waking me up to go pee in the morning.

I really want to do this crate training, to get her ready for when I go back to work in a couple weeks. For her own protection and for the protection of all my furniture and shoes. I'm trying to make the crate a fun happy place for her, but she really doesnt seem to like it at all! I'm going to keep at it though. Anyways I hope to talk with you guys for years to come!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Hi! Your puppy is cute! For crate training when it is normal feeding time put her food in her crate and have her eat in it. Also when you put her in it give her a treat. You can also buy a little kong or a big one put peanut butter in it and put it in the freezer to freeze the peanut butter then give it to her when she goes into her crate. If she wines let her wine. If you go and get her when she wines then she is training you and you are not training her.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome! You have to go through the whining, complaining, 'not liking the crate very much' to get to the place where your pup LOVES it and considers it her home. But, if you bring her into bed with you - you ain't never gonna get there.

It's a few nights of not a whole lot of sleep for you - she'll complain - you shush her. She may cry for a while but eventually she will settle.

Make the crate a positive place - feed her in it, throw treats in there, don't put her in there as a punishment (in anger). I did use the crate from time to time when mine were smaller when they needed a bit of enforced down time - but just leave the emotion out of it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well she is doing alot better with her crate, only whining the first few minutes when shes put in. I also put in a frozen kong filled with peanut butter which occupies her. Took her to the beach today and she was a little reluctant to go in at first but she eventually just jumped in all on her own, which i think startled her cause she went all the way under then quickly swam back to me. Baby steps haha.

Road trip!!!

testing the water

Play time

deidra is offline Senior Member

That si good that she is liking her crate now Just remeber not to throw her into the water or she may never like it. My dogs are in love with the water,lol.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Oh yea, i let her go near it, and in it all on her own.