Concerned about eating habits...

Thread: Concerned about eating habits...

bustersmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultConcerned about eating habits...

Hello. We are first time lab owners and WOW IS IT WORK. Sometimes it's just as much work as a baby. Buster is 3 months old and still lives inside. Are they usually better dogs inside ot outside? I love to have him inside he is trained that isn't a problem but he chews on everything!! THen we put him outside and he not only chews on whatever he finds, he eats' everything. Sometimes everything he eats makes him sick and throws up. How can I get Buster to stop eating and chewing on everything?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

You will have to traine and give plenty fun toys to chew on
    ~Roxy~

kassabella is offline Senior Member

They are work, but worth every moment of it.

Kassa was my first Lab and by the time she was 6 months old we understood why people gave up dogs. She was a terror. Chewed everything including the leg of a very expensive table. She seemed to do it in seconds while we were in the same room.

I gave her lots of excersise, training, and by the time she was a year old she was brilliant. Still got up to antics, but we couldn't help but love her. It doesn't matter if they are in or out it is the training and excersise that helps. Being firm , consistent and patient has worked for us.

If he is throwing up food it could be because he is eating too fast. I put the food on a tray and spread it out so it takes longer to eat and they don't snort it up.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bustersmom View Post
    Hello. We are first time lab owners and WOW IS IT WORK. Sometimes it's just as much work as a baby. Buster is 3 months old and still lives inside. Are they usually better dogs inside ot outside? I love to have him inside he is trained that isn't a problem but he chews on everything!! THen we put him outside and he not only chews on whatever he finds, he eats' everything. Sometimes everything he eats makes him sick and throws up. How can I get Buster to stop eating and chewing on everything?
    labs are pack animals, they must live with hteir pack (which if you the human(s)), so they are indoor dogs. they do not generally do well outside.

crate him when you cannot supervise him indoors and go outside with him when he is out there. he is a BABY and requires direct supervision (and when that is not possible, they must be crated as that is a safe environmet for htem).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At this age he should not be outdoors without direct supervision or he WILL eat things - including things that might make him sick or cause a blockage. If you consider him as you would a human toddler and you'll have the correct mindset towards dealing with a puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.