hello- first time lab owner

Thread: hello- first time lab owner

glider is offline Junior Member

Defaulthello- first time lab owner

hey all- i just got my pup shane yesterday. he's eight weeks old, darkish yellow with a liver nose. hoping for some words of wisdom and encouragement. He's not to fond of the crate (big metal wire one, that i sectioned off to a small space near the door). he seems to be peeing and pooping in as opposed to going outside. I have been spending a good deal of time trying to get him used to the outdoor space but he has yet to eliminate out doors!! any helpful hints. I dont want to inadvertantly reward his peeing and pooping in the crate by taking him out but i know he cant stay in a soiled space.. sorry to sound so novice about this but he's my first dog!! any hints would be great!! thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Your pup is going through some level of trauma having just left his previous home and littermates.

Take you dog outside frequently while you are awake and at home. Happy voice when he elimiates outside, maybe a treat to boot.

When he goes inside, including in his crate, clean it up as soon as you find it. Do not yell at the dog, or reward. Ignore him while you clean him, and the mess up. Then take him outside.

When you take him out, you need to give him lots of time to eliminate. The outside is new, and so many things to explore. Give him time to go.

Make it a habit to take him out about a half hour after feeding at the minimum. Also try to keep track of when he goes relative to feeding. There is usually a corelation and it varius by dog. Figure you dogs cycle time out and make sure you are outside to accommodate. It will vary as he grows and matures.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

thanks herseydad... sounds like what i have been doing... just dont want to reinforce the elimination in the cage.... deep breathes

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

lots of great advice above. remember his is a baby. keep repeating that, he is a baby.

What are you using to clean the crate/inside accidents? Most household cleaners do not do a good job, you have to use an odor neutralizer (vinagar works well, or there are products you can buy like nature's miracle).

spend Loooots of time outside (like, hours). let him run and play and eventually he will have to go. reward big time (seriously, a party, treats, lots of praise, high pitch voice - not just a "good boy"). When you go in, if he hasn't gone, crate him and try again in 10 or 15 minutes. Make sure the crate is just big enough for him to lay down and turn around.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Samson is offline Senior Member

Be prepared for long stays in the garden waiting for him to poop and it he does it as soon as he returns indoors then you haven't been outside for long enough !

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Lots of good advice in the Training and Puppy forum (a sticky on top with our best advice is a good place to start).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

well... he managed two bowel movements outside..last night and this morning.. serious party was thrown afterwards... felt like i was celebrating a NY mets world series victory!!! thanx for all the advice..