New Littermates!

Thread: New Littermates!

twopups is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Littermates!

Hi I'm Kate and new to Just Labradors.
    In two weeks time we will be welcoming two lab puppies into our family. They are littermates, George and Roxie.
    I work three evenings a week once my husband comes home from work so they will be rarely left alone. I'm at home most of the day with my daughter (4) who starts school full time in September.
    I am fully aware that this is going to be amazingly hard work, but we are prepared to put everything into making our new pups well trained, loyal, loving family pets.
    We have had a dog before so we know the basics of training etc.
    Anyone have any advice on littermates??

Thanks
    Kate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Patience.
    Lots and lots of patience.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome.

i agree, patience x 10000. seperate htem as much as possible. Seperate crates, make sure you take them on seperate outings (outside the house) regularly (very often at first). Train them away from one another (different room) and take them to seperate training classes. make sure you socialize them seperately so they get used to meeting new dogs and people without their sibling around. They absoluely MUST develop to be their "own" dog and not be dependant on the other. The biggest problem with littermates is they bond to each other first and the humans second. They are unable to properly function when seperated and never truely develop their OWN personality.

It's going to be an insane amount of work. Most breeders (who know what they are doing) do not sell littermates together.

Sounds like you have a male and a female so you will have to be on top of things as far as not letting them together if she goes into heat (and hat is for 4 weeks, they can tie very quickly, even thru a fence and can get their first heat before they turn 1)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Wow. 2 same age puppies is a very challenging task and not something I would ever do or recommend, particularly with a small child in the mix (as your child needs attention too). Good luck with your choice!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

silverbyrd21 is offline Senior Member

wow. lots of work coming your way! I have a 4 yr old too and only 1 Lab puppy and its umm, "fun" , lol enjoy your new babies and we want pics!
    Rachel mama to,

Skylar - Husky/Shiba Inu - May '03
    Molly - DSH blk and white feline - April '04
    Cali - Norwigien Forrest Cat - February '05
    Courtney - Human Child - October '06
    Sookie - DLH Dilute Calico feline - August '09
    Liberty "Libby" - yellow lab - March '11

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I know you are excited, but also know that reputable breeders DO NOT sell littermates to novice dog homes, especially one with a young child.

Please take some time NOW to research some of the criteria that make a good breeder and be 1000% positive that your choice matches in EVERY category.

The worst thing that could happen is that you bring home 2 pups that come from parents with bad temperaments and no trainability (breeder just bred their 2 pets together because they needed some cash and wanted to show the kids the meaning of life) and then find out that they have a myriad of health problems because the breeder didn't check for those things.

Good luck.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    I know you are excited, but also know that reputable breeders DO NOT sell littermates to novice dog homes, especially one with a young child.

Please take some time NOW to research some of the criteria that make a good breeder and be 1000% positive that your choice matches in EVERY category.

The worst thing that could happen is that you bring home 2 pups that come from parents with bad temperaments and no trainability (breeder just bred their 2 pets together because they needed some cash and wanted to show the kids the meaning of life) and then find out that they have a myriad of health problems because the breeder didn't check for those things.

Good luck.
    You have probably already made your decision and won't be going back on it (and who knows, maybe this breeder is ethical) but by "good breeder" we mean that both parents are tested and cleared for all the genetic issues that plague the breed: hips, elbows, eyes, hear, EIC, CMN) and "prove" their dogs by doing something with them (the parents, NOT the grand parents or great grandparens) eiher by conformation, field, hunt, obedience, ec). "great family pets that were healthy at their vet visit", and who have champion a few generations back, doesn't count.

This can be food for thought if not for these puppies, for any future dog.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Until those puppies are home, there are no final decisions. Best lose a deposit on one or both pups than saddle yourself with years of medical bills and find the dog bites children due to parents with crappy temperaments NOW.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Patience.
    Lots and lots of patience.
    And wine. Lots and lots of wine... Just kidding! I would seriously recommend finding a good puppy kindergarten class now and get signed up once their vaccines are done and they are cleared by your vet to bring to school. Even though they get socialization with each other they will need to meet other dogs and you will learn tons! Also, what everyone else said and make sure the breeder is doing the responsible thing regarding health clearance etc. I honestly would not let litter mates go together unless there were really special circumstances. Good luck with your new additions ~ can't wait to see pictures!
    Jen and the crew!