first time lab owner

Thread: first time lab owner

shawn74 is offline Junior Member

Defaultfirst time lab owner

HES 6 WEEKS OLD ,CHARCOAL MALE,CURRENTLY POTTY TRAINIGhttps://www.justlabradors.com/forum/images/smilies/animated/dizzy.gif,LAST TWO DOGS WHERE GERMAN SHEPS AND SEEMED EASIER TO TRAIN BUT NOT NEAR AS FUN,(HURLEY) CHEWS A LOT AND HAS BEEN ABOUT 50% ON POTTY TRAINING ,WHAT SHOULD WE EXPECT IN THE SIXTH WEEK ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Did you get him from a breeder? Six weeks is too early to be taken from the litter. You can expect Mouthing,whining,training,and my favorite part the fun.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    Did you get him from a breeder? Six weeks is too early to be taken from the litter. You can expect Mouthing,whining,training,and my favorite part the fun.
    Not from a breeder if he's CHARCOAL and he's home at 6 weeks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I meant someone wjho just puts two dogs together (byb). Is that a better term?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    I meant someone wjho just puts two dogs together (byb). Is that a better term?
    Yeah, that's about right!!!

Jan2009 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I also got my pup at 6wks old. She is now 9wks. And I did get her from a breeder. The breeder had Charcoal and Silver Labs. Is there no such thing? I'm a first time lab owner as well. I got a yellow lil girl.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Charcoal and Silver are not Labrador colours !

Many people have made this mistake and as long as the pup is loved then it shouldn't be a problem.

Six weeks is much too young for them to leave their Mum but this sort of thing happens so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2009 View Post
    I also got my pup at 6wks old. She is now 9wks. And I did get her from a breeder. The breeder had Charcoal and Silver Labs. Is there no such thing? I'm a first time lab owner as well. I got a yellow lil girl.
    Correct-there is no such thing as a charcoal labrador or a silver labrador. They come in 3 colors-black, chocolate and yellow. That's it.
    Some people breed market silvers and charcoals as "rare labs" to make money from people who don't know any better.

shawn74 is offline Junior Member

SORRY FOR DELAY GOT BUSY AND APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE RESPONSES ,HE'S SILVER FACTORED CHOCOLATE WHICH IS OFFICIALLY (CHOCOLATE) ,IT WAS NOT A BREEDER JUST A FAMILY WITH A FEMALE THAT USED A STUD SERVICE, AND MY PAST EXPERIENCE WITH RARE COLORS AS MY LAST TWO DOGS WERE WHITE GERMAN SHEPS WITH BLUE EYES IS THAT BREED WITH CAUTION WE LOST TWO PUPS IN DIFFERENT LITTERS BOTH 6MONTHS WITH LUNG DISORDERS . THEY WERE BRED VERY CLOSE FOR THE EYES .THEY WERE FINE JUST NOT THE PUPS AND WE FIXED HER AFTER THE SECOND TIME .THEY BOTH PASSED OF OLD AGE AND WE MISSED THEYRE EYES THUS THE COLOR CHOICE OF OUR LAB. I DID RESEARCH THEIR HISTORY AND FAR MORE COMMON THAN MY SHEPS .WE DONT PLAN ON BREEDING !I REALLY ENJOY FORUMS AND HOPE TO LEARN FROM YOU ALL

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome to the board. YOu will find there is much information on the "silver" labrador which is not a true color of the breed. The AKC/labrador club of america does not recognize silver labradors nor do they approve of registering these dogs are chocolates:
    Silver - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

It is important that puppies stay with their littermates until at least 8 weeks of age as the weeks beween 6-8 are crucial to their development. You may find your puppy is much more of a biting and needs more socialization because he left the litter so early. I expect you will have a puppy that eats, run, poops and pees. YOu will have to take the puppy outside every 30 sometimes to go to the washroom. be patient and get some vinegar or nature's miracle to clean the spots. Remember that at that age htey cannot hold it in very long. YOu will probably have to do ALOT of "no biting" in the weeks to come.

Please note that typing in capital letters is generally linked to yelling.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-07-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky