New Chocolate Lab Mommy

Thread: New Chocolate Lab Mommy

feistgardner is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Chocolate Lab Mommy

Hello All,

My family and I just became the proud new adoptive parents of a beautiful chocolate lab puppy about 6 weeks ago. She was a rescue and might be mixed but she looks like a beautiful chocolate baby. She has a few lighter hairs underneath the brown ones on her tail about 2 inches from her rear end. The people who adopted her first said that the mother was on the property and was a black lab and they thought the father was a yellow lab mix. We named her Cocoa! Our vet thinks she is probably close to 16 weeks old now. She is very busy and energetic. I have never had a large breed puppy before but we did have a golden retriever (I only knew her as an adult) until about 3 years ago when she passed away. Anyway, I love her! She is my walking buddy! I do have some concerns about how rough she has been with my kids (they are 4 and 2 years old) and our small dog. We have had to keep them separated as much as possible because of the biting and rough play. I really hate that because i don't think it's fair to her have to watch the family from behind a baby gate in the kitchen when they are playing in the living room. Any ideas on how to get them to interact better with each other?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your new puppy! Upload some pics when you get a chance
    You are going to have to teach her what is okay with the kids and what is not. Both the puppy and the kids are quite young, so this could take some time, but you have to be right there anytime the kids are interacting with her and have to be consistent about what she is allowed to do - correcting her when she does something you don't want her to do and rewarding what is okay. At this age all pups are mouthy, so you'll have to work with that.
    I'm sure others will have more suggestions for you, but welcome to the board!

silverbyrd21 is offline Senior Member

yay for new pups! We are recently owned by a yellow lab pup is 12 weeks today
    Rachel mama to,

Skylar - Husky/Shiba Inu - May '03
    Molly - DSH blk and white feline - April '04
    Cali - Norwigien Forrest Cat - February '05
    Courtney - Human Child - October '06
    Sookie - DLH Dilute Calico feline - August '09
    Liberty "Libby" - yellow lab - March '11

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Congrats! Bauer has the same hairs on his tail, I can't remember the reason but I remember being told it was common in chocolates.

16 weeks was a tough time for us, and we really had to spend extra time being consistent (removing him from the room immediately when he got too rough. Good luck!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! I agree with Dek you need to teach r what si good and what is bad. Do you have a kong bone or something you could gicve her. teach her those are ok to chew on. Also teach her human skin means you are in trouble. Put her in a crate or something for a few minutes if she puts her sharp shark teeth on any of you.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Blondiega1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by feistgardner View Post
    Hello All,

My family and I just became the proud new adoptive parents of a beautiful chocolate lab puppy about 6 weeks ago. She was a rescue and might be mixed but she looks like a beautiful chocolate baby. She has a few lighter hairs underneath the brown ones on her tail about 2 inches from her rear end. The people who adopted her first said that the mother was on the property and was a black lab and they thought the father was a yellow lab mix. We named her Cocoa! Our vet thinks she is probably close to 16 weeks old now. She is very busy and energetic. I have never had a large breed puppy before but we did have a golden retriever (I only knew her as an adult) until about 3 years ago when she passed away. Anyway, I love her! She is my walking buddy! I do have some concerns about how rough she has been with my kids (they are 4 and 2 years old) and our small dog. We have had to keep them separated as much as possible because of the biting and rough play. I really hate that because i don't think it's fair to her have to watch the family from behind a baby gate in the kitchen when they are playing in the living room. Any ideas on how to get them to interact better with each other?
    That's so funny!!
    My Coco has the same exact thing!!!

We call her our very rare and highly sought after Ring Tail Lab!
    You can only see them when she's wet, and it's the only spot she has them!
    It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
    Daisy and Coco sunbathing.

Samson is offline Senior Member

All mongrels if you ask me !

( Joke ) :-)

Blondiega1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    All mongrels if you ask me !

( Joke ) :-)
    My mongrel would run scaredy tail from your mongrel any day of the week!
    It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
    Daisy and Coco sunbathing.