New Owner Soon. saying hi and asking a few questions

Thread: New Owner Soon. saying hi and asking a few questions

LordMetalZ28 is offline Banned

DefaultNew Owner Soon. saying hi and asking a few questions

hello my name is chris
    well this all started as a trespassing problem. we recently installed 165 foot of fence down the one side of our yard to keep out the trouble of the nieghbor hood. we have always wanted dogs (labs specifically) so i decided to run another 265foot of fence and encolse my entire yard( work in progress) we hope to have the entire yard fenced by the end of summer or at the worst end of spring 2012. we had some questions about labs as we want them to have the best lifestyle we can give them. as i mentioned i have a huge 1/4 acre fenced in yard with alot of space to run around and play. i have a 1000SQ ft ranch home with 3 bedrooms (only one in use) . we have been hearing that when keeping labs its better for thier sake to have 2 labs for company and so on. i was just wondering if anybody may have experience or can give me some feedback on this!!! our original plan was for one lab but if 2 labs will make there qaulity of life happier and heathier then this is what i want to do for them. is this do able in my situation with the huge yard and medium sized home???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would only get one lab. I have two but i had only one for 3 years. Having two is fun but a lot of hard work. having two labs to make them happier is a whole bunch of Bologna. They are more people dogs and want to be in the house with their family. Some do good with other dogs but that depends on their personality and/breeding/socializing. I have a medium house with 7 people and 3 dogs in it 4 right ow and it is ok but a lot of tripping over each other

P.S. if later on you feel you are ready for another dog go right a head and get one. I did and it is fun but again a lot of work. My dogs are rescues so it is even harder but worth it at the end of the day to have 2 fun goofy labs.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would also like to add that it si better to have there ages further apart. It is so hard to lose 2 dogs close together. When i lost Abby my lab I had before my 2 boys i cried every night and till this day I still do. Once you lose one it is hard to get another.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Honestly, Dio is fine on his own. We had another dog, but he prefers being the only dog. We have lots of playdates with our friends' pups, but in the end, he likes having the human attention.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)