Hello from Malta

Thread: Hello from Malta

ptr247 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello from Malta

Dear all,

I have just joined the forum and found out the immensity of the information found in this form.

My chocolate Labrador "Sheeba" is a 7 month old female who was bought from a reliable breeder when she was 9 weeks old. I have been to 1 obedience class (6 sessions) and will soon start another. I don't have any major problems so far except for:

(1) Over-excitement when people come home (continuous jumping and excitement albeit that myself and people ignore her);
    (2) Over-excitement when she sees other dogs on walks (I walk 45min morning and 45min evening);
    (3) Occasional times when she refuses to obey commands; and
    (4) Occasional poo eating.

I hope the above are considered to be "minor"?, however I would like to work on eliminating such traits.

I have never crated her - do you think crate training will help any of the above?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Peter

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

i would crate when you go just for safety. With the jumping have her sit and stay and open the door and say OK greet and if she jumps on people say ah! sternly or whatever you use and ask the people to go back outside and keep repeating. it may seem rude but they will not get scratched. With the dogs say leave it! and if she takes her eyes off the dog and looks at you give her a treat. With the poo eating it could be because of poor quality of food. i would pick up her poo as soon as she lets it go and also i have heard of putting pineapple or pumpkin in it.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

ptr247 is offline Junior Member

Hi Deidra,

Thanks for your tips. Re quality of food I feed her Acana which is one of the top rated foods I hear. I tried the pineapple but didn't seem to work. It's not something she does on a daily basis and I have not linked it to for e.g. boredom or loneliness - I guess she will grow out of it as she matures.

I'll definitely try out the other tips and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome,
    A number of us have poop eaters, and most on different food. I personally don't think it is food as Erns has had different food and still does it. The only thing to do is to be vigilant and pick it up. I have a poop eater and tried everything. Pineapple etc doesn't work and not sure how you stop it in pup as Erns was 3.5 when I got him.

She is young and pups do get excited. She will get better as she matures.
    I did the same as Deidra when people come. I trained to sit on a spot and treat. Other thing is ignore them. Gemma is shocking at it so no one is allowed to even look at her until she sits still.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    You'll probably get more responses to your questions in the Lab Chat section.

Bella