New here. Puppy as yet unnamed

Thread: New here. Puppy as yet unnamed

marmstr is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew here. Puppy as yet unnamed

We have a new lab puppy (11.5 weeks) who is as yet unnamed. We're narrowing in on a name but for right now she answers to "baby" and "puppy".

We've had a lab and a lab mix before, but this is our first puppy. Our first dog (black lab) was adopted through a friend when she was a year old. He was the breeder and had given her to a family member, only to take her back because they weren't training her properly. She was a wonderful dog named Belle and lived to be 13. Our next dog was a true rescue and was we believe, a lab and golden mix with maybe something else mixed in. She was a reddish color and very large for a female lab. She got lymphoma last summer and died in December at around 7 years. After that experience we decided that our children (12 and 15) are old enough to help with a puppy and we wanted a pure bred dog this time.

Puppy came home with us last Saturday (Ap 30) and so far we've been delighted. Only 'accidents' have been our fault when we just didn't get to the door quickly enough. She gives good signals, just not much warning! She sleeps all through the night in her crate, the breeder had been training the puppies to sleep in crates from 7 weeks and she sent us home with a puppy sized crate and a blanket from one of the other puppies' crates so that baby would smell her brother. We expected some noise the first night be she's been really good! She's also good for the hour or two we leave her in the crate at a time during the day.

The only thing we've got going now, other than the lack of a name, is the teething on furniture and power cords. We've tried "Bitter Yuck" but apparently she likes that flavor...I just moved the antique oak rocking chair out of the family room a little while ago when she started trying to pull the braid off the upholstery! Power cords have been hidden as much as possible and we're just not letting her out of our sight (hadn't been doing that anyway, I was watching her when she went for the chair!)

Glad to find these forums, I bet we'll have lots of questions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Deb.Aus is offline Junior Member

Hiya, LOL just your luck that she'd like the flavour. I'm new on here too (with Starsky and Hutch). "Baby/Puppy/as yet unnamed" sounds like a sweetie. We had trouble naming our cat (we each had our favs) so she ended up as Kitty Meow. We shouldn't be allowed to name animals lol. I'd love to hear what name you decide on

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! We love pictures The name will come to you. Tank (black lab) came with the name and he is a Tank. Bentley he just looked so sweet and after Dierks Bentley the country singer. Tracker he always had his nose to the ground. So the name will come.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

My next Lab will be called either shadow or velcro for obvious reasons. Shadow would be especially fitting for a black dog.

bett is offline Senior Member

teething on power cords is deadly. either keep him on a leash when he's loose in the house or watch him like a hawk. when i was a kid we had a doxie who bit the cord and really was shocked. fortunately, that's all that happened.

marmstr is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    My next Lab will be called either shadow or velcro for obvious reasons. Shadow would be especially fitting for a black dog.
    Shadow, Catfish, Visa, Hoover and Eureka were all on our list. But one of my kids (15 year old son) came up with Artemis (as in goddess of the hunt) and his 12 year old sister fell in love with that name and has refused to consider anything else. We've been trying to sell her on Eureka, "Reka" for short, but she's not having any of it.

So Artemis I think it is!

I'll try to get some pictures on to photobucket later this week to post. I need to track down my password.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I love that name
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Deb.Aus is offline Junior Member

I love the name Artemus (very fitting and dignified). I might pinch the name Eureka for any future pet I get, just cause I'd love to call that out over and over from the back door without explaining to the neighbours that it's the name of a pet.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum